Are live Brine Shrimp Good for Fish to eat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MadManMac

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know that brine shrimp are not good food for fish to eat all the time, so I usually feed frozen mysid shrimp, FormulaOne Marine pellet and Carnivore Blend frozen cubes all soaked in Zoe. I was thinking about putting a live brine shrimp breeding set into my tank to offer fresh hatched brine to the fish as a constant "snack" and continue to feed the other foods. I have heard that newly hatched brine are very healthy because they have not lost their nutrients, but quickly will after hatching. My fish always seem hungry and if I can give them a somewhat healthy snack that is fun to watch I would like to do it. TIA.

I believe the general opinion is that unless the shrimp are vitamin enriched, they are pretty much useless except to stimulate appetite in a non-eating fish. But I would think that if raised in a 'fuge and allowed to ingest nutrients, they cannot prevent those nutrients from passing to whatever eats them. I also recall reading somewhere that some of our beneficial bugs will eat baby brine and increase their health, which are then eaten by fish. I have been unable to find where I read it, and I've been looking for a while now, so I may be mistaken. In any event, I have a hatchery in my fuge that I load about once a week. I can't see any harm in doing so, and if it only helps add the tiniest bit of diversity to my tank I think its a great thing. I have yet to see an adult brine anywhere in my tank or fuge, so something must be eating the babies, and that makes me happy. (read the 2nd part of that sentence out of context :twisted: ) Besides, what else am I going to do with all these eggs?

Back
Top Bottom