Are moonlights for a reef tank necessary?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tg062468

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey Everyone,

I have CoraLife lighting that is turned on for about 9 hours a day, on my 30 gallon reef tank. I have read some interesting stuff on moonlighting but wanted to ask here;
Is it necessary for the coral?
If it isn't necessary is it at least helpful?
Is it just to help showcase your tanks when they aren't lit?

Thanks,
Trent

Larry got it. Strictly to prevent us from getting a red filter for our flashlights to see in the tank at night. My moonlights follow the moon phases and I hate the New Moon time when the tank is in total darkness <g>.

BTW, most coral reefs get at least 12 hours of sunlight every day. Most folks therefore have a 12 hour cycle for the actinics and 10 hour cycle for the main lights to mimic a dawn/dusk effect, while giving the corals a 12 hour light cycle.

I agree that they only for personal preference. The only moonlights my fish get is my computer screensaver. LOL

It was first thought that "moon lights" would cause the different corals to spawn. That didn't happen. But makers of Marine lights got on the bandwagon and started using them as a marketing point.

To get corals to spawn you would need the setup I have on my LEDs that follow the moon phases from New Moon to Full Moon. Even with that I doubt my corals will spawn. Even if they did, it would all be gone by the morning as either fish food or skimmate.

i've had a pocillopora spawn without any moonlights.
if you look closely at this old shot, you can see it encrusted on all of the glass panes
img_1198323_0_51f29b23222b004574747923c886535d.jpg

img_1198323_1_9b9c3f5e1b4d394b5b4236d9a0105837.jpg

it was in the overflows, and any attached tanks as well as on every rock in the tank.

img_1198323_2_3c4f98eb8b1fd016a1b5b7b53a6c35fc.jpg

haha...you know..it was relentless.. i kept selling off giant rocks that were completely covered for the price of a new rock, until one day it just didn't like the tank anymore, and the rest disappeared.

There is One possitive effect of moonlight. Fish can see the structure of the reef and it avoids them jumping out if hunted. But normally no Room is that Dark that there is no light!

Back
Top Bottom