Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-04-2014, 05:02 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by 54seaweed View Post
first off sheep's head get hug 55g is too small that's like putting a large blue fish into a 5g nano, it is totally discouraged to release fish back into the wild after they have been in captivity,
in certain parts of Florida it is illegal to collect any type of sea life with out a permit
fines can range from $100. all the way up to $100,000. it's really no joke
you don't need to start a salt water tank if your not going to be responsible
and follow dept of wildlife's strict guidelines
+1. I remember a member who lives in the Keys that collected his own fish. However, he didn't break any laws by doing so.

90g Reef
30g Long Frag Tank
10g Planted
3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:02 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
I would get fish from your local fish store. The last thing I would do I collect natives from the wild, the FWC or DNR may get you. These fish may also have a disease of some type. No offense but I'm just backing up all of the other posts regarding the same info.

FWFishTanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:02 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist
My brother-in-law lives in Melbourne Beach, FL. All of their aquarium stock comes from local waters. Not to say whether or not this is illegal, they are natives to the area and do what they choose. There is no wild tropical marine fish selection on the western gulf, and I prefer to purchase healthier stock from the local aquarium stores.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
lstimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:27 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak
Bro I'm 12 and I'm in 600$ deep with a biocube

Shanetweedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:48 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic
You will be surprised on what you can catch and keep. When at the pier fishing I saw a guy that always goes there bring up 2 angelfish on sabiki. He looked at me and said im not eating it...lol I know he wasnt as ive seen him fishing for snook and pomps before. He showed me his 300g setup and was moving up with a 500g setup. As a kid I used to keep snook but that's one game that you cant keep if i'm not mistaken. Pinfish, you can keep cause i use for bait.

I fish at the keys a lot and when catching bait fish i also catch plenty of nice Wrasse.

Recreational Harvest of Marine Life (Aquarium) Species
Rare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:35 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award
Are saltwater tanks as hard as people say

You can certainly do it, but the variable is the size and type of SW aquarium you,want. If I were starting in SW at your age, I would suggest investigating nano aquariums up to 40 gallon. The NUVO for instance is pretty well setup and makes a beautiful aquarium. Or you can do a DIY type setup.

As some fish you might be able to collect are suitable for a smaller aquarium, most of them won't be. I would suggest starting with easy to keep, inexpensive fish then graduate to corals along the way. It is really easy to get in a hurry and trash the money you invest in life stock, so be patient and start slow.

Good luck to you!

Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote

ate, salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, saltwater tanks, tan, tank, tanks, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com