Are saltwater tanks as hard as people say

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nathan_Drake

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Seriously. I want know and if it is doable for a 13 year old, how expensive is it?:fish2::fish1:

It is not as hard as people say. In fact I would say the difficulty is the same as freshwater.

That being said, it requires a lot of background knowledge to be successful. Key things are having proper equipment, having an appropriate water source, knowing how to properly cycle a tank, and how to stock a tank appropriately.

The larger the tank, the easier it is to maintain. Small mistakes have a much more dramatic affect in a small tank because of the water volume.

In general yes, it is expensive.

It can be expensive, but we had a member in the last year that I recall working his tail off for his allowance and other such things to put together a really nice tank. If you do the research and plan well, it is easily doable. He used taotronic LEDs to keep any coral his heart desired.

Without knowing what it takes to do something it will always be hard, but If you have patience and understanding of the hobby then it will be easy. However, there is one thing very important that may hinder your success. Make sure you pick the right size of tank that will fit your budget.

Nathan, back in 2005 I went into a fish shop. I was bowled over by the marine fish. The guy suggested that as I know nothing I'd be wise to try my hand at freshwater to learn the ropes.
Really that's the best piece of advice I have been given.
You can learn a lot from freshwater systems that is applicable to a salt tank.
(Basic water science)

I'm only just ready to start my first reef, I am still learning and I have been studying hard on reef tanks for most of that time.
(I could've set up earlier but life got in the way)

I recommend you start reading now, oh start saving too! By the time you have raised the readies you should have some knowledge to use.

(Have a word with Santa and see if he can leave you a book or two)
Then use your birthday!

I'm quite a lot older than you but currently we have the same dream.
Good luck!

The only advice I can offer is research research and research some more. Not just tactics and practice but products and equipment as well. As with freshwater.. I've heard they're are some good products to be had cheap.. and as with freshwater most cheap products usually suck haha.. don't be afraid to ask about something before you buy it. Consumer reviews can be helpful but I'd always want a second opinion. Also.. don't rush anything, patience is so key with this water keeping.. i can't remember who said it?? something like good things rarely happen overnight but bad things can/will often do.. good luck and godspeed young man:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've done all my research but only on freshwater tanks and some saltwater tanks. All my friends have saltwater tanks because I live in Florida and I live in a canal so it would be easy for me to collect fish and tank water off my dock. But I guess your right. I just spent all my bday money on my 55 gal native/predator but thx

Well, don't go collecting water or critters. There are pretty strict laws in Florida about collecting things for such a manner.
The issue with the water is that it is polluted and you will be introducing it into your system. Through continued water changes, these contaminants will continue to build up over time and eventually cause an issue...if they don't right away.

Hmmmm good to know but if I do decide saltwater, I won't go knocking on the fwc's door [floridas wildlife commission] and they won't really care if I took a couple of baby pinfish or a couple of small sheepshead. I know a guy who keeps a small snook in a 55 gallon!!!!its way to small but he said the maintenance is the same if not easier than a freshwater tank

first off sheep's head get hug 55g is too small that's like putting a large blue fish into a 5g nano, it is totally discouraged to release fish back into the wild after they have been in captivity,
in certain parts of Florida it is illegal to collect any type of sea life with out a permit
fines can range from $100. all the way up to $100,000. it's really no joke
you don't need to start a salt water tank if your not going to be responsible
and follow dept of wildlife's strict guidelines

first off sheep's head get hug 55g is too small that's like putting a large blue fish into a 5g nano, it is totally discouraged to release fish back into the wild after they have been in captivity,
in certain parts of Florida it is illegal to collect any type of sea life with out a permit
fines can range from $100. all the way up to $100,000. it's really no joke
you don't need to start a salt water tank if your not going to be responsible
and follow dept of wildlife's strict guidelines

+1. I remember a member who lives in the Keys that collected his own fish. However, he didn't break any laws by doing so.

I would get fish from your local fish store. The last thing I would do I collect natives from the wild, the FWC or DNR may get you. These fish may also have a disease of some type. No offense but I'm just backing up all of the other posts regarding the same info.

My brother-in-law lives in Melbourne Beach, FL. All of their aquarium stock comes from local waters. Not to say whether or not this is illegal, they are natives to the area and do what they choose. There is no wild tropical marine fish selection on the western gulf, and I prefer to purchase healthier stock from the local aquarium stores.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Bro I'm 12 and I'm in 600$ deep with a biocube

You will be surprised on what you can catch and keep. When at the pier fishing I saw a guy that always goes there bring up 2 angelfish on sabiki. He looked at me and said im not eating it...lol I know he wasnt as ive seen him fishing for snook and pomps before. He showed me his 300g setup and was moving up with a 500g setup. As a kid I used to keep snook but that's one game that you cant keep if i'm not mistaken. Pinfish, you can keep cause i use for bait.

I fish at the keys a lot and when catching bait fish i also catch plenty of nice Wrasse.

Recreational Harvest of Marine Life (Aquarium) Species

You can certainly do it, but the variable is the size and type of SW aquarium you,want. If I were starting in SW at your age, I would suggest investigating nano aquariums up to 40 gallon. The NUVO for instance is pretty well setup and makes a beautiful aquarium. Or you can do a DIY type setup.

As some fish you might be able to collect are suitable for a smaller aquarium, most of them won't be. I would suggest starting with easy to keep, inexpensive fish then graduate to corals along the way. It is really easy to get in a hurry and trash the money you invest in life stock, so be patient and start slow.

Good luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom