Are Seahorses difficult to take care of?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottyhorse

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi saltwater people! Im March for my birthday, I am thinking of setting up a saltwater aquarium. Right now I have a 2 gal shrimp tank, I am in the process of a 25 gal community build, and soon I am going to start a 5 gallon dwarf puffer or pygmy sunfish tank. So you could say MTS has taken hold :)

Anyways, i was at first thinking if a 10 gallon nano with a goby, corals and shrimp, but H. Erectus have taken my heart. I have horse anyways, so seahorses would be cool to have!

Right now I am thinking of doing a 25 gallon with a pair of Lined Seahorses, some corals for hitching, some algae because I know they like plants, a protiene skimmer (sp?) instead of a hob filter because of the current, and possibly a goby if I could, but I would rather be understocked because this would be my first salwater tank! I would not have a sump, either. Would I really need one though?

I would also purchase a small ro unit, and mix my own salwater because we live in the country an it would be a whole lot cheaper. Plus I can't drive yet, and the nearest lfs is about 30 mins away from our house.

Basically, I am wondering if seahorses are an okay first salwater fish, and if I am on the right track to keeping them! Thanks :)

I use to have a SH tank. They are a little on the difficult side. IMO they need to be raised in a species only tank. Other fish will outcompete the SH`s for the food. I always had problems with them having some type of disease that would be like a fungus on them. Here is a diary that I did when I had them.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f11/melosu58-s-seahorse-diary-88358.html

Thanks mel, I read through the whole thing. Is it normal for seahorses to have problems as regularly as yours did?

Back
Top Bottom