Are sumps loud?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Massimo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I want to upgrade my aquarium and I'd like to have a sump. The aquarium is going to be in my room. I currently have a sump less 38 gallon in my tank, and at night I need to turn off my skimmer and a 750 gph powerhead cause because they are loud. I have sensitive hearing.. Will a sump be loud and prevent me from sleeping?

Alot of noises depends on the gear you have. I run a sicce syncra silent return pump. Super duper silent. My skimmer air line comes with a silencer. I just think of it as rainfall. Soothing actually

Only way I can fall asleep with loud noises around me is if I'm extremely extremely tired or I'm drunk... So either I ran 20 miles a day or drink every night before going to bed.. LOL

I have sensitive hearing and I'm scared that once I set up my aquarium, I won't be able to sleep.

Its hard to try to get a silent setup and have a tank work efficiently. A stand with cabinet doors will muffle some noise. It will never be super silent. Piping under the water level could help. It would depend on the gear and setup.

I would really suggest maybe ear muffs or ear plugs lol. Just like how some people with sensitive eyes use blind folds.

IMO i would not get a tank in the room if it will cause you discomfort.

....or buy one of these....
Z
5749083494_a6a976c379.jpg

Z

Last edited:
yeah, a sump can be noisy because you need a return pump to keep it running. + if the overflow is not setup right, you will have problems with gargling noise.

do you keep any powerhrads on? because if all of them are off and your skimmer is off... there is practically no air in the aquarium during the night.

I just turn off one during the night, it's in a timer, it turns off at 11pm and turns back on at like 2am. My skimmer I plug in manually every morning Lmao

I would use the herbies overflow design, and an eheim 2000 return pump. Heard that its one of the quietest sump pumps.. And the herbies method is practically silent. If I do go down that route, I'd be creating a thread about my entire build

Back
Top Bottom