Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-06-2011, 07:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Are T5's better??

I currently have a 29 gallon high tank with some corals. I'm looking to upgrade my lights to T5's. I have 175w of power compacts now and I would be buying 96w of T5's. My question is, is going from 175w of PC to only 96w of T5 an upgrade or downgrade? And how so?

Old 07-06-2011, 07:37 PM   #2

I had 4x96 watts of compat fluorescents on my 45 tall reef and had all types of corals growing well. If what you have is working for you I wouldn't 'fix' it. If you start to have issues that could be caused by insufficient lighting then you could look into an upgrade to a high quality T5 fixture (HOT5 with individual curved reflectors, as many bulbs that you can fit on the tank).

Old 07-06-2011, 07:46 PM   #3

Yea my corals seem to be doing well but I had the exact setup before and my corals did well for 3 weeks and then everything closed and never opened again. So I'm just wondering if It could be the lights. I know the bulbs need to be changed so that's why I'm thinking of just spending the money on a new light instead of the bulbs.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

96watts over the 29g with T5s is enough to grow whatever corals you want and you'll save alot of wattage.

going with to many T5s say a 6 lamp yyou reach the possibility of burning your low light corals and can burn youre low light corals
Old 07-06-2011, 09:25 PM   #5

Many things can cause problems for corals. If it is inadequate lighting they will likely brown out and lose color, not just close up and die.

They can be sensitive to certain issues, but tend to recover to most issues quite well if the problem is recognized and fixed. What corals were they?
Old 07-06-2011, 09:45 PM   #6

I have always went by the more wattage the better. I used the 3-5 watt rule of thumb. But I have been into fish tanks for along time. When I started the power compacts were the new and best so I guess now there out of date. I think I'm going to switch to the T5 fixture and see how that goes.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:51 PM   #7

The corals I had were all beginner corals. I had leathers GSP's mushrooms and zoo's. I never had any luck with the GSP growing. They had always stayed the same size. Everyone says there taking over their tanks and I can't get mine to grow. Here is my tank as of now. Just a big leather, a small leather and a frag of GSP.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2996327529.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	42902  
Old 07-06-2011, 10:28 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

no way dos the whole wattage per gallon aPPLY ANYMORE, THECHNOLOGIES HAVE IMPROVED WAY TO MUCH FOR THAT TO EVEN BE CONSIDERED

EDIT: oops sorry for the capslock
Old 07-06-2011, 11:29 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I went from t5's Ho to led on one of my tanks 9 months ago. Ecoxotic panorama leds are great way to go, especially on such a small tank. In fact they even have a new higher watt model that just came out. I can only speak for the originals, but everything I've put under them, (sps and lps) are doing amazing. No heat transfer, low wattage, awesome shimmer effect, no bulbs to change, so far there living up to the hype. Just my 2 cents. The future may eventually be in leds.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:14 AM   #10

I just bought 2 T5 fixtures with 2 24w bulbs each. What types of corals could I keep and grow now?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com