Are there any clams suitable for a 40b

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hondatek

Aquarium Advice Addict
As the title states I am wondering if there are clams that stay small enough to live in a 40b ? Thanks

most clams will grow over time , but IMO if you get a small one it would take a few years to to grow , when it comes time he no longer fits in your tank you could trade him in for credit + a new smaller clam
or who knows by than you may have a 220g tank lol

Cool I didn't know they grew very slow. I do have a 180 gallon but porc chop ( the puffer in my avatar) and my emperor angel would make pretty short work of it. Any helpful tips or things to look at before purchase ? Thanks

A clam should be fine, they need very little elbow room, but they don't tolerate being picked on.

General rule is that clams under 3" need to filter feed, while larger ones are fine with photosynthesis alone.

They require intense lighting usually, similar to SPS. But don't burn their mantles.

They don't like a sterile tank, a bit of organic material seems to benefit them.

Don't move them around after they attach, it can kill them. If you want to try it in a few areas, sit him on a small saucer with gravel in it. Once you find a location he likes you can remove the saucer and let him root himself.

Be sure to not expose him to air. If you do, he needs to be inverted and shook to insure there are no bubbles trapped in him.

Start with an easy one, not that bright blue maxima at the LFS for $100.

Generally low flow as they don't like their mantles messed with.

Last edited:
Sounds like one would be perfect. It's a low flow angler reef with no skimmer just an algae scrubber so there should be plenty of food floating . Would reef chili work as food also ? I usually broadcast feed that once every 2 week's . I am using taotronic led so that should be enough light . The tank stays at 0 trates and .04 p04 . Is that too sterile or is that ok?

Sounds like one would be perfect. It's a low flow angler reef with no skimmer just an algae scrubber so there should be plenty of food floating . Would reef chili work as food also ? I usually broadcast feed that once every 2 week's . I am using taotronic led so that should be enough light . The tank stays at 0 trates and .04 p04 . Is that too sterile or is that ok?

That sounds fine to me, there is still some nitrates in the water unless you are testing with a special high accuracy tester. Reef Chilli should work, but I have never had any luck raising small clams myself.

If you have fish, you typically don't need to feed most clams regardless of size, depending on what you feed your fish that is. Crocea clams tend to stay the smallest, so they would be good space wise in your tank...but they also are the most light hungry io clams. Deresa or Squamosa would need less intense lighting, but do grow larger.
As far as feeding, I have several clams in my tank which has no fish right now. I squirt a small amount two fishes marine snow at them after turning off my return pump and setting my power head to its lowest setting for about hours. I just do this twice a week, and all 3 clams that are under 3" have been good for 4 months now. All my shrimp and crabs love it too., but it does make the tank messy the next few days!

Back
Top Bottom