Are there any issues with running the refugium light at the same time as the DT?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bix

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,

Are there any issues with running the refugium light at the same time as the DT?

I have my refugium under my DT on a metal stand and am having issues controlling the light escaping while the fish are trying to sleep.

I was going to have the refugium light come on about 4 hours before the DT and have them both on for 8 hours.

Will there be any temperature/PH issues with doing this?

Its a FOWLR tank. I have some cerith snails in the refugium.

I run my refugium lights 24/7. I believe if you are going to cut your refugium lights off they are supposed to be off when your display lights are on and vice versa.

Yeah I agree that would be ideal, I'm just having issues controlling the light escaping. So while the fish are sleeping there is a "glow" coming from below that I think might stress them a little bit..

I'm just going with chaeto so I was going to go 12/12.

They sell black pieces of acrylic, I'm not sure how you are setup, but maybe you could slide them in some places to block the light.

Or even cooler, order some dark blue acrylic so it is filtered. Instant moonlights for your tank. Even if you leave it as is, I don't think you will stress them too much. The moon can get super bright over reefs.

Mine has holes in the sand that the fish create. Some light comes through that. Been like that for 5 yrs now and never has any effect on the fish. I would not worry about any stress on that account.

Good to hear!

So maybe I won't worry about that so much and just run the light as I was going to from the start (opposite of the DT.)

Thanks!!! Best site on the web for aquarium stuff (and I have tried out a few :D )

I think a little light is not a problem. It will give some of your more skiddish fish some security in that they are not totally blind by the lack of light and they will be able to move around without the need to vault out of your tank and land up on the floor.

Back
Top Bottom