Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-15-2011, 08:11 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Are these Bleaching?

Im having a hard time telling if I am seeing a bleaching of the coral. I have seen some favorable changes such as a montipora ture undata changing from all brown to a green body with a purple rim and ridges, and some green slimer frags go from browned with no extension to bright green with some extension. because of the above changes im not sure if these two corals are going through the same thing.
1st was claimed to be a purple bonsia when purchased. When I got it it seemed mostly browned with yellowish polyps now it appears to be pale purpleish especially at the encrusted base. Here are 2 pics 2 weeks apart.

2 weeks later

2nd is an unknown acro that when purchased was mostly brown with white polyps now the upper side facing light appears to be much paler and the underside is still brown. 2 pics 2 weeks apart

I also have several chalice frags that have undergone the same conditions and look great and they are only 3-4' lower in the tank. This pic is of my undata which was also kept under the same conditions and incredible change. This is in the same location as the above frags. Before being place in this tank it was completly brown like, well you know. Now This.

Lighting: Apollo LED fixture. 55 leds running at 2 watts each for a total of 110 watts. 40 blue/15 white(20K), light is approx. 1.5' off the water and blues run from 9a-9p and white are on from 11a-8p with 4 30min periods during that streach with no whites on.

Tank: 20g High. All coral shown is placed about 4-5" up in the tank.

Acclimation: During acclimation I had the blues on from 9a-9p, and the whites on 1 hr then off 1 hr over a 8 hr period. I increased the whites on by 30min, every 3-4 days. even now the whites are not on for a full 8hrs yet. I unfortunatly have the light as high as it can go as the tank sits on to of an entertainment center and the light is hanging from a relativly low ceiling in my basement.

I hope this all helps. I am personally not sure because before I got this light all my coral was kept in my DT where my t5's were under powered. for that tank. So I never had to deal with bleaching and therefore not really sure what to look for. Anyway thanks again

jgraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i would get the star polyps away from the sps, but otherwise i don't see any problems. btw, undata requires a lot less light than acropora.

mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
Thanks Mr X. The acro was only there for a moment as I took the pic, then back to it s regular place. I was hoping they were fine as I was intending to use that light over another 20H that I intend to make SPS heavy. I really wanted t5's for that but figured only only 4 bulbs might not be enough, and I already have that light. Any way thanks again.
jgraz is offline   Reply With Quote

bleaching, chi, leaching

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com