Are these lights good for coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes and no. Yes because it a a 4-bulb T5 HO fixture, and no because Odyssea products are cheap. Some people have good experiences with them, and they are a nightmare for others. The reflectors aren't of the best quality, the ballasts usually fail pretty quickly, and the bulbs are apparently terrible. If I remember correctly, they have an odd shaped bulb length, so it pretty much forces you to come back and buy their bulbs, but I don't know if this is still true. You can google them and there should be some petty nasty reviews/horror stories. All in all, I would buy a better quality fixture such as a Fishneedit.com fixture or something made by TEK or Current USA.

fishneedit bulbs will need to be replaced I found that once I changed to another brand it really made a difference in the tank. They don't have individual reflectors but for the money it isn't a bad deal.
I got the true antinic, purple plus and the 12k once the lights burned in the color is fantastic. ATI T5 Lamps

thominil said:
Yes and no. Yes because it a a 4-bulb T5 HO fixture, and no because Odyssea products are cheap. Some people have good experiences with them, and they are a nightmare for others. The reflectors aren't of the best quality, the ballasts usually fail pretty quickly, and the bulbs are apparently terrible. If I remember correctly, they have an odd shaped bulb length, so it pretty much forces you to come back and buy their bulbs, but I don't know if this is still true. You can google them and there should be some petty nasty reviews/horror stories. All in all, I would buy a better quality fixture such as a Fishneedit.com fixture or something made by TEK or Current USA.

+1
I've heard lots of complaints about this company in another forum, number one is that there light fixture catching fire sooo please be careful,

Can someone find me a T5 light fixture that includes LED moonlights? That is really the appeal of the odyssea lights.

Can someone find me a T5 light fixture that includes LED moonlights? That is really the appeal of the odyssea lights.

If youre thinking short term then the odyssea and fishneedit are the fixtures to go with in my opinion. I have had 2 odyssea t5 lights and while the new ones are very cheaply made they work and they have the moonlight which is one of the reasons I got it.

BUT the moonlights arent that great so you may as well go with one without. i have a current nova extreme pro fixture and have nothing bad at all to say about them, other than no moonlights LOL

The odyssea fixtures that burn up supposedly are the metal halides, those i would steer real clear of.

I thought they had stopped manufaturing them and any that were still around were leftovers in warehouses that had just not been sold yet.

So the odyssea would support corals? I don't want to get something more expensive because I still need to get the LR for my 75g lol. Later on though I will probably upgrade.

I had a 4 bulb odyssea and kept everything including a nem for a few months. The higher light corals i of course had to have high up. It's not an ideal light but it will support some corals easily. Some not as easily. Kinda depends on what you want to keep.

Back
Top Bottom