Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-16-2011, 02:17 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are these lights good for coral?

I found this t5 lighting system for cheap and was wondering if it would be any good for coral.

http://www.aquatraders.com/48-inch-4...re-p/52305.htm

Old 06-16-2011, 03:29 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes and no. Yes because it a a 4-bulb T5 HO fixture, and no because Odyssea products are cheap. Some people have good experiences with them, and they are a nightmare for others. The reflectors aren't of the best quality, the ballasts usually fail pretty quickly, and the bulbs are apparently terrible. If I remember correctly, they have an odd shaped bulb length, so it pretty much forces you to come back and buy their bulbs, but I don't know if this is still true. You can google them and there should be some petty nasty reviews/horror stories. All in all, I would buy a better quality fixture such as a Fishneedit.com fixture or something made by TEK or Current USA.

Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:47 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh wow, sounds terrible! would it be able to sustain high light corals?
Also would something like this be better?
http://fishneedit.com/4ft4bulbs-with-l44.html
Old 06-16-2011, 10:52 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

fishneedit bulbs will need to be replaced I found that once I changed to another brand it really made a difference in the tank. They don't have individual reflectors but for the money it isn't a bad deal.
I got the true antinic, purple plus and the 12k once the lights burned in the color is fantastic. ATI T5 Lamps
Old 06-16-2011, 10:55 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to DA fisherman
Quote:
Originally Posted by thominil
Yes and no. Yes because it a a 4-bulb T5 HO fixture, and no because Odyssea products are cheap. Some people have good experiences with them, and they are a nightmare for others. The reflectors aren't of the best quality, the ballasts usually fail pretty quickly, and the bulbs are apparently terrible. If I remember correctly, they have an odd shaped bulb length, so it pretty much forces you to come back and buy their bulbs, but I don't know if this is still true. You can google them and there should be some petty nasty reviews/horror stories. All in all, I would buy a better quality fixture such as a Fishneedit.com fixture or something made by TEK or Current USA.
+1
I've heard lots of complaints about this company in another forum, number one is that there light fixture catching fire sooo please be careful,
Old 06-16-2011, 01:38 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Can someone find me a T5 light fixture that includes LED moonlights? That is really the appeal of the odyssea lights.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:25 PM   #7

You get what you pay for. Current is good and has completely switched over to T5 at this point. Check out some of the fixtures at marine depot Aquarium Fluorescent Lighting and Lamp Accessories
Old 06-16-2011, 04:29 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitherbomb View Post
Can someone find me a T5 light fixture that includes LED moonlights? That is really the appeal of the odyssea lights.

If youre thinking short term then the odyssea and fishneedit are the fixtures to go with in my opinion. I have had 2 odyssea t5 lights and while the new ones are very cheaply made they work and they have the moonlight which is one of the reasons I got it.

BUT the moonlights arent that great so you may as well go with one without. i have a current nova extreme pro fixture and have nothing bad at all to say about them, other than no moonlights LOL

The odyssea fixtures that burn up supposedly are the metal halides, those i would steer real clear of.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:59 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishguy2727
You get what you pay for. Current is good and has completely switched over to T5 at this point. Check out some of the fixtures at marine depot Aquarium Fluorescent Lighting and Lamp Accessories
Current still makes halides as well as combination units. Though their T5 fixtures are second to none.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:15 PM   #10

I thought they had stopped manufaturing them and any that were still around were leftovers in warehouses that had just not been sold yet.

Tags
coral, light, lights

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com