Are these readings any good?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheRealKenKen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Alkalinity 15-16 5:28 pm

Calcium 16-17 320-340 5:32 pm

Ph 7.8-8.0 7:50pm

Ammonia 0 8:00 pm

Nitrate 5-10 looks more like 5
But I honestly can't tell at all it could even be 20 8:05 pm

Nitrite 2.0-5.0 I think 2 is the answer
8:08 pm

I'm using API test kits so it's extremely hard to tell on some of the readings more than others.

I have no fish or inverts just live rock right now. My tank has been set up for probably a month. I have kalkwasser on the way. I also have ph buffer, strontium, and calcium here to use. All of my additives are seachem.

I also have two marineland maxi-jet 1200 that circulate my water that are moved to just slightly see the water bumping up. And a larger sized donut bubbler for extra air in the water.

What should I do to get my water in check or are they fine?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ignore that, I realised that they were times and not readings!

Oh, I'm sorry, I misread. I thought that was nitrAte that was detectable. I would wait until nitrIte was undetectable and Then do a water change to remove excess nitrAte, and then add fish.

Sure thing I'll start a water change as soon as I'm home. How much of a water change should I do? I'm thinking 20% would be okay then test it a little later on, or should I go ahead and do even more? Also what would be a good digital readers? I don't like guessing, and I sure don't want to be guessing when I add fish. Appreciate the help, I just started a saltwater tank and need all of the help I can get!

Don't do a water change if there's no fish yet. Keep monitoring until NITRITEs are at 0. Then water change time to get NITRATE as low as possible...

Oh sorry, I did not read that correctly. I'll wait until I can not find traces of nitrIte, then start my water change.

Oh sorry, I did not read that correctly. I'll wait until I can not find traces of nitrIte, then start my water change.

Good idea :cool:

And when NITRITE is at 0, then get a reading of NITRATE.. If it's at 40, then a 25% water change will bring it down to 30, a 50% change will bring it to 20, etc etc. I recommend bringing it down as low as possible, as it's an uphill battle if you start high.

I will definitely start monitoring and probably start with a 25% water change, then test it. But when the time is right of course, haha. What digital readers would you recommend? I'm really wanting to get something that is more accurate.

I will definitely start monitoring and probably start with a 25% water change, then test it. But when the time is right of course, haha. What digital readers would you recommend? I'm really wanting to get something that is more accurate.

You can check out Hannah checkers. I dont know from experience though. I use a refractometer for salinity, and other than that only test mag/cal/alk and use the Redsea Pro titration tests...

Gotcha, I'll definitely have a look at them. Thanks for the help from both of you, it's greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom