Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-25-2006, 02:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Are these reef safe

one of my friends is moving and he is giving me the following:

1 large tiger cowrie snail

2 coral banded shrimp

2 blue damsels

are these all reef safe????

philly
philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:43 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Watch the damsels, they tend to be VERY aggressive, as for the others, I don't know...

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 03:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to ogden10
yes you should be fine as far as I know.... Cowrie for sure...be careful though mine died when it got sucked into a powerhead
Old 04-25-2006, 03:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

The tiger cowrie may pose a threat to soft corals in the tank and should be watched. The shrimp and damsels are reef safe but as mentioned, the damsels may pose aggression issues.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Are the damsels aggressive to everything or just certain fish? I was hoping to add two when I was adding the last fish because I was under the thinking that they are more aggressive with the newer additions to the tank. Are they ok with shrimp and crabs?

Inquiring minds want to know...
Old 04-27-2006, 12:13 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Im sorry to say this but Flush the damsels. They will become aggressive towards everyone even themselves. I only use them to cycle tanks. You have better options for fish besides those 2 blue damsels.
125g~Zoanthid dominated~SPS~LPS~T. crocea~S. haddoni~2xSaddleback Clowns~Hippo, Kole, Achilles Tang~Leopard Wrasse~Flame Angel~Purple Firefish~Gobies~Chromis~3xCleaner Shrimp~2xHarlequin Shrimp~Pistol Shrimp
AquaReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:33 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaReefer
Im sorry to say this but Flush the damsels. They will become aggressive towards everyone even themselves. I only use them to cycle tanks. You have better options for fish besides those 2 blue damsels.

I don't even know how to comment on those statements. Damsels are wonderful fish for smaller tanks. They do get aggressive and need their space but they certainly don't deserve what you suggest. They deserve the same respect you would give any other aggressive fish. Tangs, puffers, angels, lots of fish are aggressive but damsels take an unfair beating. And I won't even get into the cycling with fish. This mentality is just sad. Sad.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:37 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nøjo
Are the damsels aggressive to everything or just certain fish? I was hoping to add two when I was adding the last fish because I was under the thinking that they are more aggressive with the newer additions to the tank. Are they ok with shrimp and crabs?

Inquiring minds want to know...
Your right. I would add them last after everyone is established. And some damsels are more aggressive then others so research the damsel you are interested in. They are ok in small species only tanks but probably are better for larger tanks. Some damsels get to a nice size as well. Damsels get a bad rap. They may not be the best community fish but most are ok with other semi aggressive fish. They are fine with crabs and shrimp. They are reef safe.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:52 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Aquareefer, I hope you take some heed of what Fluff said and rethink your opinion on damsels. They are beautiful fish. Its a shame almost that they are so hardy. If they were more delicate, then maybe people wouldn't treat them as badly...

philly, keep an eye out on the cowrie and damsels like already said, but please do not flush them if you have agression issues. There is many a lfs that will take them off your hands.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 02:04 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaReefer
You're right that damsels can get aggressive and cause a lot of problems in tanks. They're sold to beginners who don't know how to set up a tank so that the damsels don't cause frustrations. But the fish themselves are beautiful and graceful.

What makes me feel sad is that you would think that it's ok to "flush" any kind of fish. If you need to destroy a fish, do so in a humane way (e.g., freezing water, clove oil, etc).

My 2 cents.

Tags
reef, safe

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com