Are these water parameters possible???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weekf

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am not new to saltwater and have been keeping a 20g for a year now. But this is new to me and leaving me scratching my head:

I have just started up a 132g 6 footer using 2 canister filters. The water was added in yesterday, some liverocks this morning and tonight I did the water test it comes out like this:

- Ammonia = 0
- Nitrite = 0
- Nitrate = 0
- PH = 8.0
- Salinity = 1.025 (using a refractometer)

I mean is this possible? Can I almost add fish now? Or for that size a tank and that few liverocks the ammonia will need time to build up? I was expecting an ammonia spike but nothing happened.

Water wise I got it delivered to my house by a tanker. I have been buying saltwater from this guy and have been using his water for a year for my 20g. Never got a problem with water parameters and no problem with algae at all. All I can say is his waters are in top quality since no dramas whatsoever in the past. He collected water from the ocean and everytime I reach home do tests on his water the parameters are perfect.
I never mixed salt with water before. He also supply water to several nearby pestshops and lots of people buying his water through the shops. And his water is cheaper than buying the salt and add/do the work yourself.

I got the water delivered this time because I was filling up the whole new tank of 132g. Normally I would buy 5g weekly use it to do waterchange for my 20g.

So do I still need to let it cycle a few more days to see what will happen before I do anything stupid? I mean I am not in the rush here just curious why nothing has happened yet.

I don't think your tank has started to cycle. If your LR was well cured there would be no die off of anything and thus nothing to start the nitrogen cycle off. I would toss a raw shrimp or 2 or 3 for a tank that size to get some ammonia and start things off. Then do daily/every other day testing to monitor cycle progress.

It will take 4-6 weeks to cycle unless you have already cured LR, which will shorten it consideralbly. How much LR do you have?

I agree with the rest. In order for the cycle to start, you will need to introduce an ammonia source...like a raw cocktail shrimp or two. Right now, your tank is normal and you should not see any spikes untill you get ammonia. Remember, the beneficial bacyteria resides in the sand/LR, not the water column.

Oh I didn't throw in anything to kick start the cycle, just cured live rocks and cured base rocks. Only a little bit as all shops has run out of liverocks and I was looking for big pieces but only managed to get these small pieces. I don't know how heavy they are but you can see it in my pictures section.

Previously when I cycled my 20g I didn't throw in any raw shrimp to kick start the cycle either. Just some liverocks and the cycle did actually happen. However this time rounds nothing has happened. I think could be the water volume of the tank and little amount of liverocks? These rocks are fully cured. Does that mean no cycle will happen? And I can add fish now?

weekf said:
I think could be the water volume of the tank and little amount of liverocks?
Yep, the smaller tank had more LR/Gallon so if the LR was cured, that would have cycled the tank fast enough, that you didn't really see it.
weekf said:
Does that mean no cycle will happen? And I can add fish now?
Add the shrimp, the cycle will start. I don't believe you have enough LR with enough beneficial bacteria to support life yet.

ok will add 2 raw shrimps into the tank as we speak... but still with that much of rocks do I really need to wait til I get more rocks first only then I add the raw shrimps or add it now? More rocks should come in later in the week or should I just wait for all rocks to go in first then add the raw shrimps or add them now?

If it is not a long wait for the lr, then I would wait. Adding new rock part way through your cycle may extend your total cycle time.

Sparkie said:
If it is not a long wait for the lr, then I would wait. Adding new rock part way through your cycle may extend your total cycle time.

Great point. If the rock is just now coming in then it means it will not be fully cired when you buy it. And that means it will extend the cycle time.

I agree. Add the shrimp, enjoy the cycle. You can still add rock later in the week, sure. I just would not add rock directly to your tank after it cycles. If you want to get new rock after it cycles, cure it in a tub or something before you add it to your main tank.

Off topic here, but I gotta ask.

Weekf, what are you running in the cannister filter? Better yet, Have you hooked up a Eheim or Hagen surface extractor/skimmer on the cannister? It will remove the ammino acid film you may otherwise have to contend with.

I have to agree with others as I would add the shrimp now and add the LR later this week when it comes in. I would scrub the LR in saltwater and try to take off any excessive die off that way as to eliminate a prolonged cycle time. You can still cure it as you cycle your tank.

Back
Top Bottom