Are these white things ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doza

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was just looking in my tank and noticed a small white organism walking on the aquarium glass. It couldn't have been more than .5 millimeters long. After further inspection, I noticed that there were actually a lot of these things walking on the glass. Neither of my fish (a tomato clown and a snowflake moray) show any signs of disease as far as I can tell. Does anybody know what they could be? Are these things safe? Should I do anything to get rid of them?

Thanks

Hmm, that's pretty tiny. My guess would be Copepods. Copepod eat diatoms, bacteria, Rotifers, etc. They are very beneficial to the aquarium and excellent food for corals and small fish.

Another option is Ostracodes. This is a very unique animal but common in tanks with live rock. Also beneficial for the aquarium. They are the primary food for Dragonettes in the wild.

Do they look anything like the smaller critters in this pic?

pods.jpg

wow, this is too weird, I came to post this exact same question.

I have tons of these little white things and they are almost stuck like snails only they move much faster.

(another weird thing is that my only two fish are a tomato clown and a snowflake eel)

*Hara hears the twilight zone theme song start to play*

Back
Top Bottom