Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-04-2014, 08:48 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
Great discussion.

The lighting corals get is not all that stable, turbidity, angle, reflection, clouds for weeks at a time, all these things they have adapted to. It seems to me they might depend more on the water column to feed, than their algae in the wild. Having the steady food source for the coral might be more important than the sugars made by the algae.

I agree with this completely.

Corals have no control over the weather while in the ocean. Meaning the wild corals we get, may be having a hard time handling all the light we give them.

Maybe though since, Aquacultured corals were born under a higher intensity light, over time wouldn't they adapt to a higher intensity? They've never had to experience the quick changing weather In the wild...

Old 06-04-2014, 01:01 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
Great discussion.

The lighting corals get is not all that stable, turbidity, angle, reflection, clouds for weeks at a time, all these things they have adapted to. It seems to me they might depend more on the water column to feed, than their algae in the wild. Having the steady food source for the coral might be more important than the sugars made by the algae.
So that would definitely call into question the concept that a lot of corals don't need to be specifically fed, just give 'em more light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelix10 View Post
I understand nutrients were not the topic of this article, but in our nutrient depleted reefs we must make up for the lack of nutrients!
But you are making the erroneous assumption that the nutrition supplied solely by the symbiotic algae will suffice.
Plus there is an entire market segment dedicated to accounting for the lack of nutrients in keeping corals. If all their needs were supplied by more light, why buy all the other stuff?

As far as I can tell from reading the aforementioned article as well as other sources, the color and vibrancy of corals is directly related to the health of the symbiotic algae, especially those that fluoresce, but are the corals themselves getting all they need?

I'm not disputing the idea that consistent lighting can be more beneficial than natures inconsistency, but all living organisms have saturation points concerning the nutrients they can digest, including photosynthetic ones. Terrestrial plants have saturation points beyond which more light is actually detrimental, why shouldn't the same apply to marine plant/photosynthetic life?

I do believe that was the central point of the research article.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:19 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I'm not certain. The algae just produces sugars that sustain the coral, but I'm pretty sure maximum growth happens when they catch some food from the water column as well. Kind of a plan A and B approach.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:57 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

The points in which it is stated that corals use both the light and the plethora of nutrients in our water to grow are both true. However, we are looking more at if the light we give is too much for our corals to sustain.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:13 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

It's obviously a balancing act to a degree. It does seem the lights we are using have the potential to bleach cora. As I said before, l wish I had a underwater housing for my PAR meter because I bet at any reasonable depth the readings might be surprisingly low. Tidal pools are a different story.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:32 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

As Sniper mentioned, from my understanding PUR is more a more useful reading when regarding the algae on the corals..? I may look into buying both a PAR and PUR meter and measuring throughout time in the tank..
Old 06-04-2014, 05:39 PM   #17
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

PUR meters are extremely expensive. This is why you don't see much in terms of PUR readings.
Then, in terms of coral needing both food from the water column and light, well of course they do! It just comes down to what you are looking for in your corals. High nutrient systems will give more dull or browned corals. Still healthy, just not that appealing to the eye.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:48 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
PUR meters are extremely expensive. This is why you don't see much in terms of PUR readings.
Thus being the reason for, "May look into". Unfortunately the money to purchase such a meter is not in my wallet the moment, or at most moments. It would sure be interesting to see the differences in your specific tank with Pur.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:50 PM   #19
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Powerful Radions helping growth, distilled water from walmart giving algae with dulled and browned colors in SPS and LPS.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:13 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I've read studies that show browned SPS corals with excess algae actually grow faster than the same more colorful coral in higher lighting. Of course browning can also come from nutrients. Wonder if the browning effects the coral the same from either cause?

Tags
cap, coral, corals, light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com