Are you supposed to clean your skimmer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Animal-Chin

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ive had my skimmer running 6 months. Am I supposed ti take it apart and clean it from time to time? What maintenance do you do on your skimmer?

Clean the neck as often as needed.
Too much crap will reduce the efficiency of skimmer.
Some say weekly,but I use my own judgement.
I do clean the necks at least monthly but usually sooner.

Ya im thinking more the main body and pump. Like taking it right apart and scrubbing with vinegar or something?

I wouldn't do it often, but it won't hurt it. I've done it a couple of times on the current skimmer I run simply because it has sucked algae up into the pump. Take one part off to clean might as well do it all.

Sorry to jump in. I have been wondering about clean my skimmer. The neck ( or the part below the collection cup) is completely covered in coralline algae. Will this be affecting the efficiency of the skimmer?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sorry to jump in. I have been wondering about clean my skimmer. The neck ( or the part below the collection cup) is completely covered in coralline algae. Will this be affecting the efficiency of the skimmer?

Not in the collection cup. The neck (rise tube) should be kept as clean as possible.

Yes, it effects efficiency.
Think about it for a second.....

if the neck where the bubbles gather is clean and smooth then there is a smooth, consistent flow of intact bubbles.
if it is dirty and textured, then bubbles have a harder time rising and are more likely to break rather than rise to the top as foam.

So the reason I asked is because my skimmer was going all wonky this week. Overflowing, dropping way down, I was constantly having to adjust the level. Sometimes it was hardlymaking bubbles but the water level was way up in the neck, just weird stuff so last night I yanked it out and took it apart.

First, my air intake hose was totally clogged with salt. Hardly any air could pass through so I cleaned that out and and now it sucks in WAY more air. Who knew...lol

Second, looks like a strawberry top hat snail had babies in my tank because there was a little teeny one stuck in my pump! Took the snail out of the impeller (I think thats what you call it) and cleaned out the body of the skimmer. Put it all back together and its ROCKIN! Works like new.

So ya, clean you skimmers from time to time people...lol

Back
Top Bottom