Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-10-2004, 11:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
ARGH! Heater malfunctioned, advice needed

my heater on my qt tank malfunctioned and i came home from work to find the water close to 90 degrees!!! i flipped out , the fish were breathing very fast so i took ziploc bags of ice cubes and floated them, eventually over a period of a hour or 2 the temp went down to 80. Their breathing lessened up a little but i'm concerned about their being a lack of oxygen in the tank now. I have a sponge filter with a air pump pumping bubbles in the tank and thats pretty much it. Theres a bi color angel and 2 chromis in the tank. What else can i do to increase oxygen

scubasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 12:50 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Do you have a spare powerhead laying around? If so, put it in the tank so that it blows right under the surface of the water. Surface disturbance is the best way to encourage gas exchange in the water. I think 02 levels will return to normal very quickly with the lower temp though.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Logan J
loganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 05:58 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
I'd be worried about stressing the fish out even more by putting a PH in there. The bubbles from the filter should be causing a fair amount of surface agitation, and a big water change should bring the levels back up pretty quick.
My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met.
- Rodney Dangerfield.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 08:04 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
yea i thought as the temp lowers the O2 should increase, it's now morning and there still looking good so im gonna do a partial water change before i go to work just to have some new water.
scubasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 12:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
There's a product I have used before when transporting my FW fish during a move, called Oxygenex (not sure about the spelling). It is a capsule that you open and pour the contents into the water to increase O2 content. It seemed to work well, but I'm not sure about use in SW though.

Edit. Here's a link to the product website. It is about half way down the page. OXYGENEX

Don't forget to check AA Sponsors first.

saberry is offline   Reply With Quote

eat, eater, heater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com