ARGH! Heater malfunctioned, advice needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scubasteve

Aquarium Advice Activist
my heater on my qt tank malfunctioned and i came home from work to find the water close to 90 degrees!!! i flipped out , the fish were breathing very fast so i took ziploc bags of ice cubes and floated them, eventually over a period of a hour or 2 the temp went down to 80. Their breathing lessened up a little but i'm concerned about their being a lack of oxygen in the tank now. I have a sponge filter with a air pump pumping bubbles in the tank and thats pretty much it. Theres a bi color angel and 2 chromis in the tank. What else can i do to increase oxygen

Do you have a spare powerhead laying around? If so, put it in the tank so that it blows right under the surface of the water. Surface disturbance is the best way to encourage gas exchange in the water. I think 02 levels will return to normal very quickly with the lower temp though.

I'd be worried about stressing the fish out even more by putting a PH in there. The bubbles from the filter should be causing a fair amount of surface agitation, and a big water change should bring the levels back up pretty quick.

yea i thought as the temp lowers the O2 should increase, it's now morning and there still looking good so im gonna do a partial water change before i go to work just to have some new water.

There's a product I have used before when transporting my FW fish during a move, called Oxygenex (not sure about the spelling). It is a capsule that you open and pour the contents into the water to increase O2 content. It seemed to work well, but I'm not sure about use in SW though.

Edit. Here's a link to the product website. It is about half way down the page. OXYGENEX

Back
Top Bottom