Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-20-2005, 10:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Eardison
Arrow Crab - I did the impulse thing!

After discussing the temperament of arrow crabs with the associate at my LFS, I decided to give one a try. They’re pretty cool looking, and the guy at the LFS assured me he would be kind to his tankmates, which includes the following

Blue damsel
Yellow damsel
Tomato Clown
Feather duster
Hermits
Serpent star
Snails

Now I’m doing what I normally do before making any livestock purchases (check out the forums and research online) and I'm getting the impression that this little bugger may not be such a good idea. Although I've seen him do nothing but pick at my LR and generally perform cleaning duties, I'm nervous. I want everything in my tank to be as docile as possible. I plan on adding a few corals and a cleaner shrimp in a few months.

Take him back?

Give him a chance to prove his worthiness?

Anyone with Arrow crab experience?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Old 11-20-2005, 10:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to binaryterror
I dont have any experience... but I would give him a chance. Some Pygmy Angelfish nip at corals and some dont. Same goes with inverts some times. Hope this helps!

40lbs. LR
40lbs. LS
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 10:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

These are known coral munchers and not considered reef-safe. I would not irsk it once you get corals.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:08 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I know for a fact they eat Xenia, and watch your snails and hermits
125g~Zoanthid dominated~SPS~LPS~T. crocea~S. haddoni~2xSaddleback Clowns~Hippo, Kole, Achilles Tang~Leopard Wrasse~Flame Angel~Purple Firefish~Gobies~Chromis~3xCleaner Shrimp~2xHarlequin Shrimp~Pistol Shrimp
AquaReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 07:02 AM   #5

OK all. I guess he goes back to Jail. I always chuckle to myself when I see people posting questions about issues that have come about from impulse buying, and here I did exactly that!

Thanks for the advice!
Old 11-21-2005, 11:32 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I did the same thing and I know better also. I impulse bought a horseshoe crab this weekend and had to return him after checking it out here. The LFS I was at won't give refunds though so I blew $20. I had nowhere else for it to go so they got my money and their crab back(won't go back there though). I really need to start taking my laptop with me to the store to research before I buy anything.

Live and learn.
Inverts - (2) Peppermint Shrimp, Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp, (5) Turbo Snails, (4) Nassarius Snails, (10) Blue Leg Hermits, Emerald Crab, (3) Scarlett Crabs, some small starfish(hitchhikers)

My Aquarium Photos
localhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 11:44 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

I believe it'll also cause harm to your featherduster. I've heard they'll snatch'm out of their tube.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 12:05 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
Arrow crabs are awsome but don't belong in reef systems.
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 05:23 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

localhost. $20 for a horseshoe crab My LFS sells them for $3.50 I put one in my main to keep the sand stirred until I got everything running "smooth" He now lives in the refugium. Keeps the sand stirred really well.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:14 PM   #10

AAAARRG!!! I got home from work an hour ago... I found three or four feathers around my duster's tube, a sneaky lil arrow crab standing there trying to look innocent 8) and no sign of the worm! Actually, I think I can see him way down in the tube in a somewhat translucent area. I kinda buried him in the sand partially under a rock (after removing the lil thug of course). I hope he (she?) will be ok. I should have taken him out last night but I had nowhere to put him!

Off to the lfs to bring the arrow back. I called and found out they will give me store credit on livestock at the time I bring him back but no credit to use at a later time.

Any ideas for a new, docile scavenger type tank mate? No more crabs, my blue legged hermits are enough. Cleaner shrimp maybe?

Tags
arrow crab, crab

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com