Artemia vs. enriched artemia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foxmulder

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been reading that artemia doesn't have too much nutritional value and that it is not a good food for my saltwater fish.
What about "Ocean Nutrition Super Shrimp"? Is that ok? They say it is Enriched Brine Shrimp with Omega-3. However, they don't say how they've enriched it?!
It is not gut loaded, so does that omega 3 reach to the fish or just the aquarium water?
My fish love it but is it good for them?
What do you think?

Thanks!

I've been reading that artemia doesn't have too much nutritional value and that it is not a good food for my saltwater fish.
What about "Ocean Nutrition Super Shrimp"? Is that ok? They say it is Enriched Brine Shrimp with Omega-3. However, they don't say how they've enriched it?!
It is not gut loaded, so does that omega 3 reach to the fish or just the aquarium water?
My fish love it but is it good for them?
What do you think?

Thanks!

It is true that brine shrimp don't have much nutritional value.
I do feel that when buying brine it is better to buy something like what you mentioned instead of plain old brine shrimp. I like to buy the "Spirulinia Brine." However, don't rely solely on this food or any other one food. It is good to feed a big variety of food to our saltwater fish. I bet your fish would like Mysis shrimp too.

Is this the frozen super shrimp?
The ingredients list everythng added, but don't state whether that is in the water or fed to the shrimp (gut loading) before freezing. I am assuming they are gut loaded.

You should place the brine in a brine net or filter and rinse it with RODI water before placing it in the tank. Frozen foods are usually packed with nitrate laden water.

Indeed most of your adult artemia is gut-loaded, usually with some emulsion or spirulina, and can be nutritious as long as it isn't a staple. It'd be better off used as a snack unless you are enriching and feeding out live adults yourself. Nauplii, on the other hand, is quite nutritious.

Back
Top Bottom