As you can see im having a bit of a cyano issue ATM

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok , quick update , the canyo RX didn't have a time frame connected to it only the vague " when you see the desired results " and since I did not I am not impressed after 48hrs , it only cleared a small patch that was the least affected anyway :-/ , however after 2 massive water changes phosphates where showing at 0 and nitrates are down to 5ppm ( have a clam so I left a lil for him ) and and now 16hrs after the change , what I can see seems to be turning brown ( I am guessing this is the dead canyo ) and no new canyo growing in ..... Gonna try running just the skimmer as was suggested to see what impact this will have good/bad.

Thanks a bunch all I was starting to dream of canyo it was bugging me so bad lol !

When in doubt ask a reefer ^_^ !!!

If its dying i would siphon it out and or add a phosphate binder to absorb any phosphate it releases. Sounds like you are on top of things and starting to get ahead of the game.

Chemicals and reef tanks just dont mix. The minor impact it made compared to the crap it contained and the risks taken using it are non comparable. Doesnt not fix the problem and often causes problems, we all learn first hand at some point.

Yeah I was very unhappy with the results after 48 hrs .... I have some of the phosphate media for my canister, maybe remove the sponges , just the phosphate media ? Think that would help ?
Please say yes just before this thread I just restocked on filter media >_< lol

I'm also having some issues with cyano again for the third time. The first time I treated it with chemiclean and it went away. A few months later it came back and I added two Koralia 1050's to increase flow and it calmed down. Now it's back again and the strange part is that it is only growing where the light hits the sand. I just purchase a new light fixture with brand new t5's in it and the cyano appear a few weeks after install.
My tank is a standard 55 gallon and my parameters hold steady at:
Salinity -1.026
Temp -79
pH -8.2
Ammonia -0
Nitrate -0
Nitrite -0
Phosphate -0
I only feed a pea size amount of homemade frozen fish food every other day and I do 20% water changes every 2 weeks on average

Any ideas?

Whats your filtration? How much live rock? Make sure you are siphoning out the cyano and siphoning the sandbed.

About 70 lbs of sand, around 55 lbs of live rock. I'm running the Remora Pro HOB protein skimmer and a HOB filter with a fine white foam, coarse blue foam and a pouch of chemipure put in a month ago

Take out the foam, leave the chemipure. Siphon out the cyano whenever possible. Doing this along with siphoning your sandbed weekly during waterchanges will help solve the problem in a few weeks time if not sooner.

So take out both of the foams? If I do that wont I lose out on catching some of the larger particulate for the mechanical filtration?

Swiftler said:
So take out both of the foams? If I do that wont I lose out on catching some of the larger particulate for the mechanical filtration?

Yes you will but thats not important. It will break down into smaller and smaller particles and will eventually be removed by either skimming and/or waterchanges. Ive never use mechanical pads and i never have a problem. It you kick up alot of sand or something you can pop in a pad for a day to clear it up but after that removw it

I will try that tomorrow when I do my water change. Thanks for the help

Back
Top Bottom