As you can see im having a bit of a cyano issue ATM

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newfiereefer

Aquarium Advice Freak
As you can see im having a bit of a canyo issue ATM , I just got
t some chemi-pure to put in canister filter about a week ago, and IMO the water dose seem more clear, however it dose not seem to help with my canyo, also just added coral life 65g skimmer last week.

Now to the question part , the red canyo RX states to discontinue carbon, I assume this dose not mean the whole filter process correct? Chemi pure however dose not state there is any activated carbon in it just iron ferric oxide, so dose chemi pure have carbon in it or is it ok to use with the red canyo RX , and if I do need to remove it , will this impact the filtering ability of the chemi pure ?

Also what dose canyo feed off ? I've tryed dropping my feeding down to every 2 days with mysis ( sun coral ) and a few scatter pellets in the morning to make sure my gobie gets something. And short light period did not seem to help :-/
Thanks a bunch

Hey there.

First off dont use the cyano RX or whatever its called. Chemicals can cause more problems and never truly fix the problem to begin with. How big is the tank and how much live rock? Also how old is the tank?

Cyano feeds off nutrients (nitrate and phosphate) what are your nitrate and phosphate levels?

If you have cyano or algae you have a nutrient problem. It can be fixed, however adding a slime remover is not going to fix your nutrient problem and the slime will come back or algae will grow in its place.

So let me know on them questions i have and we can help you get started fighting this problem. Canister filter could be contributing to your problem and if you have live rock there is absolutely no purpose in using the canister if you since you have a skimmer. Canister filters are nitrate factories. They trap organics where it decays into nitrates and phosphates.

So I'm sitting at 40ppm and .25 ppm nitrates and phosphates , currently have a 55g and 50 LB of live rock , scheduled water change due in 2 days so my nitrates are a wee bit high

Nitrates and phosphates are too high man that is whats causing your problem. I recommend large water changes asap. I wouldnt wait. Nitrates and phosphates need to be 0.

How much live rock?

Sorry i missed you said 50lbs. I would also get rid of the canister filter immediately. It is only making your problem worse and is serving no useful purpose. Your live rock and skimmer is all the filtration you need. Your canister is hindering your skimmer and producing nitrates.

Also be sure you are siphoning your sandbed.

So no filtration other than a skimmer ? And my live rock of course . I have noticed a lot of " debris " when I clean it.

Yeah, that debris sits in there and rots. Canister filters are not used for reef tanks. Skimmers and live rock are the most used and prefered method due to nitrate reduction.

I know the internet is confusing enough but I'm going to contradict what Schism has told you. I used Red Slime Remover when my tank was new and had a cyano outbreak and it worked fantastic. Turn off the skimmer and the filter but leave the water circulating pump on (assuming you have one) as you have to keep the oxigen up in the tank. I only had to done one treatment and it was gone in 3 days and has never come back. I had no ill effects to my coral or fish. When you turn your skimmer back on its going to go nuts for about 3 days until the slime remover is out of the tank. Follow the directions and do the big water change after 48 hours, this gets rid of a lot of it too.

Now that its gone keeping it gone is the next challenge and this is when I agee with the advice already given. I have a canister and its probably why my nitrates go between 5 and 10 but I've chosen to still use it. Clean the inside regularly and don't have any of those ceramic discs or anything like that. I just use sponge for the big bits then carbon and other things that i try. With my hob skimmer, my canister and weekly waterchanges my tank, coral and fish are going great. I've always wondered if I should just shut the canister down but I'm afraid to try...lol

Animal,

How often do you clean your canister, and how ofter do you change each pad??? I have an Eheim canister which has been up for 18 days cycling my tank. I have been trying to find research on which pads to change and when.

Evilbass said:
Animal,

How often do you clean your canister, and how ofter do you change each pad??? I have an Eheim canister which has been up for 18 days cycling my tank. I have been trying to find research on which pads to change and when.

I changed 2 of my large sponges , the floss , carbon after 30 days the 2 large sponges in the back portion I moved to the front. I put chemi-pure in replace of the carbon since I've heard great reviews.

Animal-Chin said:
I know the internet is confusing enough but I'm going to contradict what Schism has told you. I used Red Slime Remover when my tank was new and had a cyano outbreak and it worked fantastic. Turn off the skimmer and the filter but leave the water circulating pump on (assuming you have one) as you have to keep the oxigen up in the tank. I only had to done one treatment and it was gone in 3 days and has never come back. I had no ill effects to my coral or fish. When you turn your skimmer back on its going to go nuts for about 3 days until the slime remover is out of the tank. Follow the directions and do the big water change after 48 hours, this gets rid of a lot of it too.

Now that its gone keeping it gone is the next challenge and this is when I agee with the advice already given. I have a canister and its probably why my nitrates go between 5 and 10 but I've chosen to still use it. Clean the inside regularly and don't have any of those ceramic discs or anything like that. I just use sponge for the big bits then carbon and other things that i try. With my hob skimmer, my canister and weekly waterchanges my tank, coral and fish are going great. I've always wondered if I should just shut the canister down but I'm afraid to try...lol

I know I am kinda afraid to shut off my canister, but I am gonna give it a try , however I pan on using the canyoRX to make sure I kill the canyo for good and hope the lack of canister will HELP reduce nitrates ..... Doing a big water change right now after I syphon some out :-/ ..... Oh the joys ^_^ !

I have the fluval 305 so I take the 4 sponges out and rinse them very well every 2 weeks. At that time I also remove all the media and rinse them plus I'll clean out canister itself to remove the gunk. I replace the carbon once a month and the fluval chemiclean (I think thats what its called) every 2 but I may just stop using that as I don't know it really removed nitrates that much. If I decided to not use it I think i'll just leave it running empty. Is sucks water in at the bottom and puts it back up top. If nothing else it moves a lot of water...

My canister has 3 sponges, one is black, one is white and one is blue. I'd imaging black is the carbon, and white is the floss? Not sure what the blue is... yet... But i'm still trying to figure it all out... Im coming over from a nano set up that had a HOB filter, so it was easy just to change the filter and your done.

Ill never advise someone to take a risk that can kill livestock and cause further problems. If you use it thats your choice. Will not take care of your nutrient problem.

my canister filter is in the shed. Your nitrates and phosphates will not go away with red slime remover and it won't go away with chemi-clean. It will kill cyano but it will come back if the NO3 and PO4 is still high. Reduce those and syphon out cyano and it will stop coming back. They other problem with the removers is cyano is a bacteria and the removers are an antibiotic each time you use a remover it could make it harder to get rid of the next time. So studies have been done about it building up an immunity how true it is who knows. Remove the canister filter and get reactors for your media. They are more efficent and the water is forced through the media not around it

bavass said:
my canister filter is in the shed. Your nitrates and phosphates will not go away with red slime remover and it won't go away with chemi-clean. It will kill cyano but it will come back if the NO3 and PO4 is still high. Reduce those and syphon out cyano and it will stop coming back. They other problem with the removers is cyano is a bacteria and the removers are an antibiotic each time you use a remover it could make it harder to get rid of the next time. So studies have been done about it building up an immunity how true it is who knows. Remove the canister filter and get reactors for your media. They are more efficent and the water is forced through the media not around it

+1 bavass

Your problem is not the cyano, your problem is the nutrients, slime remover is temporary fix for a much bigger underlying problem that needs addressed.

I would not bother with the cyano rx stuff, other than being ugly it in of it self isn't much of a threat unless its covering your coral. Nutrients as stated are the problem regular water changes and added water movement should help. Best to just manually remove the cyano. Suck it up when doing a water change , worked for me anyway.

I still get cyano on occasion in a dead spot, which is also the corner where I drop in the frozen shrimp food, but I have 2 koralia 750's on the way to fix that. :)

JustinKBreen said:
I would not bother with the cyano rx stuff, other than being ugly it in of it self isn't much of a threat unless its covering your coral. Nutrients as stated are the problem regular water changes and added water movement should help. Best to just manually remove the cyano. Suck it up when doing a water change , worked for me anyway.

I still get cyano on occasion in a dead spot, which is also the corner where I drop in the frozen shrimp food, but I have 2 koralia 750's on the way to fix that. :)

I am using the remover to get rid and kill what's there , but I'm doing a few major water changes I did about 50 % 2 days ago , dosed with RX yesterday and gonna do another 20-40 % later today. U say you get yours in sea spots but mine is growing in in the high flow areas , the few spots behind the rock there there is no movement ,..... Cleanest spot in my tank :-/

Back
Top Bottom