Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-17-2012, 01:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

As you can see im having a bit of a cyano issue ATM

As you can see im having a bit of a canyo issue ATM , I just got
t some chemi-pure to put in canister filter about a week ago, and IMO the water dose seem more clear, however it dose not seem to help with my canyo, also just added coral life 65g skimmer last week.

Now to the question part , the red canyo RX states to discontinue carbon, I assume this dose not mean the whole filter process correct? Chemi pure however dose not state there is any activated carbon in it just iron ferric oxide, so dose chemi pure have carbon in it or is it ok to use with the red canyo RX , and if I do need to remove it , will this impact the filtering ability of the chemi pure ?

Also what dose canyo feed off ? I've tryed dropping my feeding down to every 2 days with mysis ( sun coral ) and a few scatter pellets in the morning to make sure my gobie gets something. And short light period did not seem to help :-/
Thanks a bunch

Old 05-17-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey there.

First off dont use the cyano RX or whatever its called. Chemicals can cause more problems and never truly fix the problem to begin with. How big is the tank and how much live rock? Also how old is the tank?

Cyano feeds off nutrients (nitrate and phosphate) what are your nitrate and phosphate levels?

If you have cyano or algae you have a nutrient problem. It can be fixed, however adding a slime remover is not going to fix your nutrient problem and the slime will come back or algae will grow in its place.

So let me know on them questions i have and we can help you get started fighting this problem. Canister filter could be contributing to your problem and if you have live rock there is absolutely no purpose in using the canister if you since you have a skimmer. Canister filters are nitrate factories. They trap organics where it decays into nitrates and phosphates.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

So I'm sitting at 40ppm and .25 ppm nitrates and phosphates , currently have a 55g and 50 LB of live rock , scheduled water change due in 2 days so my nitrates are a wee bit high
Old 05-17-2012, 03:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Also tank is now 3 months old , 4 if you count cycling period
Old 05-17-2012, 03:42 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nitrates and phosphates are too high man that is whats causing your problem. I recommend large water changes asap. I wouldnt wait. Nitrates and phosphates need to be 0.

How much live rock?
Old 05-17-2012, 03:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry i missed you said 50lbs. I would also get rid of the canister filter immediately. It is only making your problem worse and is serving no useful purpose. Your live rock and skimmer is all the filtration you need. Your canister is hindering your skimmer and producing nitrates.

Also be sure you are siphoning your sandbed.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:51 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

So no filtration other than a skimmer ? And my live rock of course . I have noticed a lot of " debris " when I clean it.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:13 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, that debris sits in there and rots. Canister filters are not used for reef tanks. Skimmers and live rock are the most used and prefered method due to nitrate reduction.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:52 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I know the internet is confusing enough but I'm going to contradict what Schism has told you. I used Red Slime Remover when my tank was new and had a cyano outbreak and it worked fantastic. Turn off the skimmer and the filter but leave the water circulating pump on (assuming you have one) as you have to keep the oxigen up in the tank. I only had to done one treatment and it was gone in 3 days and has never come back. I had no ill effects to my coral or fish. When you turn your skimmer back on its going to go nuts for about 3 days until the slime remover is out of the tank. Follow the directions and do the big water change after 48 hours, this gets rid of a lot of it too.

Now that its gone keeping it gone is the next challenge and this is when I agee with the advice already given. I have a canister and its probably why my nitrates go between 5 and 10 but I've chosen to still use it. Clean the inside regularly and don't have any of those ceramic discs or anything like that. I just use sponge for the big bits then carbon and other things that i try. With my hob skimmer, my canister and weekly waterchanges my tank, coral and fish are going great. I've always wondered if I should just shut the canister down but I'm afraid to try...lol
Old 05-17-2012, 05:42 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Animal,

How often do you clean your canister, and how ofter do you change each pad??? I have an Eheim canister which has been up for 18 days cycling my tank. I have been trying to find research on which pads to change and when.

Tags
cyano

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com