Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-12-2005, 03:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

ASM G2 - I got it today! A few Questions

Ok, first off... going from a seaclone to an ASM G2.... HOLY CRAP! thats all that comes to mind... the thing is HUGE!!!

OK so heres my question, isnt the rubber hose suppose to come with a needle valve? If so, I didnt see it anywhere! For those of you who have one of these, do you know where the needle valve us (assuming its hidden somewhere).

The thing didnt come with any instructions... so I am kinda pissed about that... but I guess this site, is my manual.

TIA,
Max

Old 05-12-2005, 03:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Nope... no valve needed. The needle wheel on the pump will work WONDERS. I got the Euro Reef version, but the ASM is similar. Just leave the hose up and all will work.

Old 05-12-2005, 03:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

the needle wheel i assume is the part around where the water flows in, correct? and you can turn this? I guess I'll play around with it for a while in some freshwater.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The needle wheel is actually IN the pump... you can't see it. It's the type of impeller it uses. No maintenance required. It's pretty simple to set up. Just attach the pump to the PVC part sticking out of the skimmer, and attach the hose to the venturi inlet of the pump. Screw on the collection cup to the top, and you're set to go.

You control how high the water flows by moving the Large outlet pipe up or down. If you have it too high, the cup will overflow with wet stuff, rather than a nice THICK dry foam that smells to high hell.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok, so what is the purpose of the foam on the outlet? I assume a 'post-filter'...
Old 05-12-2005, 03:54 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Nothing special, really. It's just to try to break up some of the tiny bubbles before they make it back to the water supply. Your skimmer should be in a place that there's no danger to suck up any debris. On the Euro Reef, I like how the foam stop the "waterfall" sound of water as it splashes down. The foam helps me out by making the whole thing silent.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:57 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

ok, I am glad that it muffles out all that sound..... because when I tried it out in freshwater... it just sounded like a waterfall, and with my overflow (which is loud enough as it is) I am sure that I would have to pee constantly... lol

Well I hope my fish/tank likes it!
Old 05-12-2005, 04:06 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Freshwater doesn't do it justice. The bubles will get TINY in saltwater with the added weight of salt in water.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:12 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

interesting, I never knew that.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:37 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

after about 4 hours of major surgery and a loss of a few gallons of water (to the carpet) I finally have my retrofitted and currently VERY ghetto sump up and running with my brand new ASM G2!

I have a few more updates to make, so its not totally over... but it is over for today, since I was in such a fish tank mood, I also began building my Kalk water drip system, which will utilize a glass apple juice container filled with kalk water. That glass jar will be pressurized using an air pump, and airline tubing will go to the bottom of the jar and as the jar presurizes it will force Kalk water into my tank. the drip will be controlled by a gang type valve (something I am planning on adding later)

well thats all for now

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com