ASM or Euro-Reef Skimmers, Depth in a sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cunch

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello All,

Thanks to all who look at these messages, I am in the finishing stages of designing my sump/refuge filtration for my 110g reef tank. I have the dimensions of my sump and refuge and now I am looking at skimmers, between the two very simular designs: ASM & Euro-Reef, does anyone know how deep these skimmers have to sit in the sump to operate properly? Do they have to be on a stand??

I am looking at this skimmer:
ASM G-2x
6.5" Body Size,
20.25"H
Foot Print: 11" x 13"
Pump Sedra 3500
Rated for a tank up too 200 G

As in my sketches, I have the skimmer sitting in a part of the sump that is 12"L x 9'H x 14"W, giving it approx. 6 gallons of water in that section of the sump. Total dimensions of the entire sump/refuge is 36Lx12Hx14W = 26gallons.

Remaining part of the sump/fuge is: 2 compartments aside from the above stated skimmer compartment, and they are : 12Lx10hx14w for the refuge at: 7g and the same dimensions for the return sections.

Sump is going to be designed like this:
[Refuge / Return Sections / Skimmer section]
----7G------------7G----------------6G-----------

Any thoughts?? I would like to use an external pump, but it looks like due to the design it will be an internal pump. Thoughts comments, concerns??

Thanks for all your help in advance

Cunch

The euroreefs can be in up to 8" of water. I do not know about the ASM. The impellar on the Euroreef is a little different than the ASM and produces finer bubbles.

When you say can be, Could it also stay out of the water? Reason being, is I have about 22 inches to work with under my stand, that skimmer is way too tall if I put it in the sump and hope ot work on it in the future.

Both the ASM and the EuroReef are in sump only. You could go with a Berlin Classic and run it externally. It takes about 20.5" total space. Another option, although more expensive, would be an Aqua C EV 180 which needs 20" and can be run externally. The EV 120 is 18" tall.

Well after discussing this with my father who is a hell of a wood worker, we're going to build an aquarium stand for the 110. The current stand is 24" high, I am thinking since this is a tall tank to begin with (30") I could raise it almost 12 inches and bring that tank up to eye level (stand at 36") , which would also leave me plenty of space for the skimmer and other appliances to work with. Only problem is getting up and cleaning the depths of the tank and now upgrading my non-purchased water pumps to handle the extra foot of height.

Cunch

That sounds like a great idea. You might want to consider using external pumps if it's not too much of a pain to drill the sump. I have a 110 so I know what you're talking about on the subject of cleaning it. I have some good used scuba gear you might be interested in..... :mrgreen:

Hahha, Please send it over.... Actually maybe you can help me out, in regards to your tank -- What do you have as an overflow or means of getting the water to the sump? What kind of lighting do you have on yours? I was thinking of 2 400w 10k & some PC as well... Any thoughts??

Thanks for your help

Cunch

Well...my 110 is a work in progress...very slow progress at this point. I don't have it set up right now. I did play around with it some though and here's how it was set up. Two external overflows with a Hydrothruster pump (which has since died). Flow was in the 1000gph range and this setup seemed to work well. Two 400w MH's would be about the minimum for keeping any SPS or other high light inverts in a tank that deep. Since it's a 4' tank, I would probably lean towards VHO or T-5 actinics since they are both available in 4' lengths. If (when) I set this one back up, I'll have an external return pump doing around 1000-1200 gph. I'll also have a closed loop at about the same flow with a SQWD to vary the currents some. HTH some.

Back
Top Bottom