Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-12-2002, 09:44 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Assorted algae questions

When towards the end of cycling the tank, I saw the brown diatom algae on a regular basis, I was not too concerned, just cleaned it off and stirred up the sand each evening. Now we have green algae, enough to where I have to scrape a huge tank each night, this is getting tiresome. I will make a big assumption that the reason we have the green algae is do to my overfeeding. I am more concerned about the fish getting what they need than me having to scrape glass. I have however, the last couple of nights, seen brownish to deep red colored alge in som small places on the sand. I am stirring this up and noticed that now, when looking from the side, I have a parfait looking sandbed. Nice stripes in different layers. Did I just bury a batch of cyano? You guys have me paranoid now.

Also, the seaclone 150 is due to arrive on Thursday, should this significantly help the algae issue?

on a related note, when cleaning the glass, what tools do you guys use. I am short, the tank is 31 inches tall and it has not been easy. I have a kent marine stainless steel scraper coming as everything else I tried just was not stiff enough to do the job when so far away from the handle.

Hara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 08:12 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via MSN to MaggiesGame
I use a MagFloat for mine (and I love it)...and for the tough spots, a sponge type scraper. I was afraid I'd scratch the glass up with the stainless.

MaggiesGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 12:46 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
ive heard that stirring your sand can release excess nitrates into the water. red slime algae can be reduced by adding more actnic light. some will argue, but ive seen it first hand, and it does work.
michealprater is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com