astraea conehead snails and turbo snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

e-cat

Aquarium Advice Addict
i have 4 astraea cone head snails and i was wondering if turbo snails eat the same algae as the cone heads do? what snail is better for eating the algae that is not wanted in tanks? my lfs has turbo snails and deep water turbo snails and difference between the 2 or is one just found in deeper waters?

I could be mistaken but "deep water turbo snail's" might easily translate into LFS for "I can charge more money". Honestly though I do not believe there is such a thing but there are several different types of turban spp. snails. It may just be a different sub.

Many types of snails will "prefer" different types of algaes as well as areas of the tank. Substrate, sand, glass and rock. The best solution IME, is to get a combination of the ones that touch on all these areas so you are not solely relying on one type for all jobs. If I had the choice though, I would never bother with Astrea snails. You'll spend more time righting them than anything, although they are a great algae grazer. A good mix of cerith, nerite, nassarius and margarita would also be a good choice.

Cheers
Steve

ill see if i can get the one you mentioned, the turbos labled as deep water are cheaper then the regular turbos

e-cat said:
the turbos labled as deep water are cheaper then the regular turbos
Then most likely they are not true turbos, could be tapestry or trochus.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom