Astrea stars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grease

Aquarium Advice Freak
What is a good way of getting rid of astrea stars? I pick them out but there always seems to be more n more that show up

What is a good way of getting rid of astrea stars? I pick them out but there always seems to be more n more that show up

Do you mean Astraea snails or Asterina stars? I'm going to assume Asterina starfish... You can just keep on course and manually remove them, or explore a harlequin shrimp, which eat starfish. It won't be an overnight cure, and may take some time. Also, these primarily eat starfish, so if it does eradicate all the Asterina's, you will need to re-home it, or purchase starfish to feed it.

Does anybody sell really cheap starfish to feed them or do I have to buy like a chocolate star? I do have corals as well

You don't want a cc star if you have corals. I had a orange sea star that would eat them but not enough to eradicate them. There is nothing wrong with them. They do eat trash off the glass.

I read that they will eat zoa's (which I have) and that they eat coralline algea. That's why I wanna get rid of them

Last edited by a moderator:
They may not ever eat a coral. It's like any other creature we keep in these systems. Hit or miss. Though I have witnessed asterina starfish eating coral before, I've only seen it once. Even seeing that I would say they are reef safe. I wouldn't worry about them. I would worry more about excessive nuisance algae like coralline. IME, they won't eat enough coralline to notice it missing.

Well, I know Mr. X is one smart guy. So I'm gonna take his advice. Thanks everyone for their help

Back
Top Bottom