Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-02-2012, 06:36 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Originally Posted by KatherineM View Post
Yeah it is an RODI. I am not sure what the exact reading is. I ran out of test strips last week. lol
I treated the water with a nitrate reducer and it didnt affect the algae, so im not sure what the issue is.
Is there something better to clean the glass with than like a metal razor? I heard metal is bad for the water

zambono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
I had a similar thing happen to my 24 everything died after the anemone died snail clowns star fish hermits even the hitchikers bristle worms .... I took my filter out cleaned it in new water took all my rock out and scrubbed in salt water to get algae off took 75% water out the tank had a mini cycle then I did 15% water change know its been about a month I got new stars and clowns hermits and snails everything is good ...my aproach maybe the wrong one but it worked for me and I did not kill no more live stock

bskerrichard27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:42 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
I would recommend that you remove the hair algae by hand as much as possible (scrape, pull, ect.). There is a neat little video on Extreme Aquatics showing a hair removal and tank cleanup on high speed. If nothing else it will likely make you feel like your task is more doable. Scrapers are good but you can also find the plastic scrapers used to clean kitchen stoneware dishes (works great for me and doesn't scratch).

The nem can poison a tank but if you got it out quick you are likely good. It is likely that by the time you posted this if you didn't have a tank die off you were quick enough. If you just don't want to risk it a bag of carbon is like $15.00 and drop it in a chamber to help.

As stated in earlier post light reduction and possibly nutrient reduction will help with algae growth.

I am sure that there are better bits of advice than what I have to offer, best of luck! Don't give up! Just think of how much more you will appreciate the tank once it is looking great again!

Starchar is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com