Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-04-2012, 10:57 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

I run a 400 to,place some nitrate remover in it see how that does.before doing anything test with a different kit or ask your lfs to test for you not with API. Keep doing your water changes cut back on feeding and don't get overwhelmed by all the options and give it sometime. Low nitrates will not harm anything.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:26 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Haven't really read the post here. I realize not overfeeding and water changes are the best method of keeping nitrates down but I tried a product called algone pouches that can be placed in your filter that reduce nitrates alot better than I ever expected them too. I usually keep one in my filter at all times. Not the best cure but they do help. Still really need to find the source of the nitrates.

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:23 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Regular

Try sea chems purigen in one side if the 4oo but ur gonna want to get its own for the fuge don't use the capartments then on the one side of the 4oo pack with just filter floss only and change that out twice a week and run the purigen in the one side the purigen is amazing ur gonna want to clean the 400 weekly two and I mean clean everything u have enough bacteria in the sand And rocks that cleaning that weekly will only help
Old 12-06-2012, 09:25 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes like said above just run some purigen and see what happens.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:59 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thank you all so much for your replies....however, it just has to be said....I am an IDIOT when it comes to the science and DIY parts to all of this. Instead of me trying to make a fuge out of my 400, how bout if I just went into indentured servitude for the rest of my natural life and purchase a HOB refugium and the right protein skimmer? I found a hob refuge on drs foster smith but I'm not sure which one to get as they don't give anything but actual measurements of the item itself....the small and middle size would fit but not the big one. I am "assuming" here that I should go with the largest one I can. As for a protein skimmer, I want to get a reef octopus bh2000. The third thing I want is a RO/DI unit that I found at bulk reef supply.

My question is this: If I invest in these 3 things, can I just do away with the emporer 400? Please dumb down your responses for this completely overwhelmed and brain fried newbie....
Old 12-06-2012, 10:22 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

All sounds good. I run the 400 to and my levels are fine and everything is happy I do have a skimmer on the 46 gal tho. Just keep it simple and it will be fine. Your list sounds good and will last along time to.keep on keepin on!!!!
Old 12-08-2012, 01:18 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have a 55g and had Nitrates very high a lot higher than you have. I did 50% water changes every other day till the dropped to about 20ppm. I run RO/DI water for top off and changes. I also tried Voka dosing I switched to Vinegar dosing and like it better. However you have to have a good skimmer to do this or it can backfire. The filters in you HOB can be part of the problem. They need to be changed every 2 weeks. If they stay in much longer they can grown bacteria and when you change them out you remove the bacteria causing the nitrates to rise. If you decide to start vodka or vinegar dosi I had great luck when I dosed Brightwells Microbacter 7 for weeks before starting the Vodka or Vinegar. Don't give up it takes awhile to get them down.

Tags
loss, nitrates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com