Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-03-2012, 08:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

at a loss with nitrates

on this one folks....I have been trying to get my trates down for what seems like forever but has been about a month. I am doing 2 water changes a week..25-30%. Did my last 30% one on Saturday. They were as high as over 40 but now are down to like 20-25. All my fish are doing well. I only feed every other day and I am not sure but I don't believe I am over feeding. I only give them a pinch...a tiny one at that...of flake food and 1 cube of either mysis or brine shrimp (switching on and off for a little variety). About 2x a week I hand feed them a piece of seaweed salad 1 inch square (believe it or not, they all eat out of my hand--very cool My stock list consists of the following:

1 anthias
1 bristletooth tang
2 green chromis
3 blue sapphire damsels
1 clown
2 bangii cardinals
2 hermit crabs
1 astrea snail
3 nassarius snails

was asked by lady at lfs if there is anything dead in tank but I am not missing anything. using distilled water for top offs and to make my salt mix. I even cracked open a bottle and tested it the other day to see if that was the problem (sounds dumb I know). I can't afford a RO/DI system right now or a new skimmer because my hours got cut at work. I am thinking that the problem is my HOB filter. I have an emporer 400. The bio wheels are taken out but I still use the cartridges and I also have a bag of chemipure in each compartment. I know that alot of people say you can run a salt tank with just a protein skimmer and live rock but I am afraid to do that because I don't know if my skimmer is good enough.

My parameters are Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 and pH hovers between 7.8 and 8

Old 12-03-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

If you are trying to get nitrate to zero without adding equipment or live rock, you can get nitrates to zero using vodka dosing. It sounds unusual, but by dosing vodka will get nitrates to zero. Vodka dosing saved my friends tank once he figured out the dosage. I believe what he did was dose 0.5 mL vodka (the cheap stuff) every day for a week. At the end of the week he tested and if the nitrates were not 0, he added another 0.5 mL (so he dosed 1mL each day). Once zero nitrates were achieved, he noted the dosage and now doses that amount each day. His nitrates remain zero.

Definitely google vodka dosing saltwater aquarium.

Some questions that need to be answered to try and figure why you have high nitrates:

how long has your tank been running?

When you do water changes, do you disturb the sand?

How big is your tank?

Do you have any live rock in it now?

Old 12-03-2012, 09:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman024 View Post
If you are trying to get nitrate to zero without adding equipment or live rock, you can get nitrates to zero using vodka dosing. It sounds unusual, but by dosing vodka will get nitrates to zero. Vodka dosing saved my friends tank once he figured out the dosage. I believe what he did was dose 0.5 mL vodka (the cheap stuff) every day for a week. At the end of the week he tested and if the nitrates were not 0, he added another 0.5 mL (so he dosed 1mL each day). Once zero nitrates were achieved, he noted the dosage and now doses that amount each day. His nitrates remain zero.

Definitely google vodka dosing saltwater aquarium.

Some questions that need to be answered to try and figure why you have high nitrates:

how long has your tank been running?

When you do water changes, do you disturb the sand?

How big is your tank?

Do you have any live rock in it now?
*tank has been running since August
*I vacuum sand a little when changing water
*75 gallons
*25 lbs live rock 50lbs base rock
Old 12-03-2012, 09:56 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

IMO a whole cube of mysis is a lot. I defrost a cube in a small Tupperware and turkey baste a small amount every other day. A cube usually last me almost two weeks. I keep it in the fridge and rinse it in a small fish net with tank water every other time use it.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaketit View Post
IMO a whole cube of mysis is a lot. I defrost a cube in a small Tupperware and turkey baste a small amount every other day. A cube usually last me almost two weeks. I keep it in the fridge and rinse it in a small fish net with tank water every other time use it.
I feel like I am starving them to death There are 10 fish in there and I used to feed everyday and didn't have a problem with trates.....this hobby is so confusing
Old 12-03-2012, 10:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Vodka dosing is certainly one way to go. Have you considered putting a refugium in the stand? You could pack in a deep sand bed, live rock, and macro algae. The dsb will help turn nitrates into gaseous nitrogen, as will live rock, believe it or not. The macro will consume the nitrates and you can remove it by throwing away the macro as it grows.
Slightly less radical, you could add more rock and some macro to the DT.
MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:58 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Vodka dosing works in conjunction with a skimmer. The methanol bonds with the proteins creating longer strings. Makes it cause larger bubbles and enhances the skimmers effectiveness. Worked for my 30 gal very nicely.

However, every week you fish produce a finite amount of poop, ammonia and eventually nitrates. You have to find a way to remove at least that amount or your levels will slowly rise. Your filter allows much of the poop to turn into nitrates between cleaning so doesn't help as much as you would think.

Cheato in a fuge, either sump or hob, removes those nitrates after they've been converted. The higher the trate levels, the better the cheato grows.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:59 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDracor View Post
Vodka dosing is certainly one way to go. Have you considered putting a refugium in the stand? You could pack in a deep sand bed, live rock, and macro algae. The dsb will help turn nitrates into gaseous nitrogen, as will live rock, believe it or not. The macro will consume the nitrates and you can remove it by throwing away the macro as it grows.
Slightly less radical, you could add more rock and some macro to the DT.
my stand isn't big enough for a fuge or a sump I wish it was and I should have chosen a different one to begin with. One of the lfs that I trust has beautiful live rock...although it's pricey. If I bought another piece or two, took a 5 gallon bucket of salt water with me to the store and brought it home in the water, would that prevent die off and avoid a mini cycle? and what macro do you suggest adding to the display tank? I tried chaeto in a homemade container but couldn't keep it in there and it was getting wrapped up in my koralias.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:15 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Some of the calcified macros work really well and won't get sucked into the pumps. Just be aware that they will soak up calcium as well as nitrates and phosphates.
Caleurpa grows very quickly, but if it touches a rock, it will try to anchor to it. Don't add caleurpa unless you want it in there forever.
Halimeda, shaving brush, mermaids fan, halymenia, and "green tufted algae" all have worked well for me. The halymenia trims itself! Lol
MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:46 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDracor View Post
Some of the calcified macros work really well and won't get sucked into the pumps. Just be aware that they will soak up calcium as well as nitrates and phosphates.
Caleurpa grows very quickly, but if it touches a rock, it will try to anchor to it. Don't add caleurpa unless you want it in there forever.
Halimeda, shaving brush, mermaids fan, halymenia, and "green tufted algae" all have worked well for me. The halymenia trims itself! Lol
don't like the look of caleurpa but the halimeda, mermaids fan and halymenia look very nice and I would love to get some color going in the tank. Maiden's hair is very interesting but it says on LA that it can't handle high nitrates but it doesn't say what high nitrates is for plants....do you think 25 is too high for plants or are they talking about readings that are off the charts?

Tags
loss, nitrates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com