Atlantic Blue Tang?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh! Huh I was unaware, liveaquaria says 1 foot....and bluezooaquatics says 15 inches
yeah, but have you ever seen one that size? i haven't. i haven't seen one larger than 6". even in public aquariums. i think that info is incorrect.
on the other hand, i've seen many large atlantic blues.

Last edited:
Wow ok thanks (and I'm not sure if you were but in case you were confused this isn't actually my thread)

Lots of good information guys, thanks very much.
I'm still kinda torn on which one, I'll take a look into them both. I just want a tang lol.

Mr X: How long will it take for a yellow tang to outgrow a 55g? Like Ive said I will have an upgrade later this year.

I don't think you'll want to do a scopas tang because it'd fight with the yellow tang I believe

I've been reading and it says most tangs are aggressive toward other tangs. So it looks like I can only have 1. I think I want the yellow tang as my one.

I have kept Tangs for years in a 300 gallon reef. But I also use to keep them in a 55 gallon reef. Yes, in the wild a yellow tang gets as big as a dinner plate. But I have rarely seen them get that big in a smaller tank, maybe 4-5 inches. I have found that you cannot mix them easily, some species seem to hate each other. I would suggest a single yellow tank, or a group of no less than 3 small ones. They are easy to feed and very resilient if the tank conditions are good. Mine love to eat fresh spinach.

I have kept Tangs for years in a 300 gallon reef. But I also use to keep them in a 55 gallon reef. Yes, in the wild a yellow tang gets as big as a dinner plate. But I have rarely seen them get that big in a smaller tank, maybe 4-5 inches. I have found that you cannot mix them easily, some species seem to hate each other. I would suggest a single yellow tank, or a group of no less than 3 small ones. They are easy to feed and very resilient if the tank conditions are good. Mine love to eat fresh spinach.

Thanks for sharing, I'm doing as much research as possible to try to make sure a tang will be ok with me. I'm concerned with the swimming room issue as well. Did you find that your tangs had ample swimming space? I have the back of the rocks in my tank away from the wall as well as the front.

Thanks so much!

They fly in and out of the rocks like all the little fish do. How they fit, it is a mystery, but they go everywhere. I have a squadron of three that school together and patrol the front of the reef. One is a bit larger than the other two and he runs the show.

When I upgrade to the 125g will that be enough room for multiple yellow tangs?

Sorry for all the questions, just cool to have someone to ask who has them. :)

I have a 125 and have three tangs. they do quite well.

029.jpg

I have kept them for years. Have one that is 8 years old. 125 gallon should be fine, start with little ones about the size of a silver dollar. They grow into the tank size, I have never seen one that outgrew his tank. If so, he will need a bigger home!

Carey, as far as having a Kole and a Yellow they are compatable. I have a Kole that is about 3" long, and a baby yellow that is about 1.5" long. The only "aggression" I have is occasionally the Kole will "kick" the Yellow - mainly out of the Kole's cave, but other than that the Yellow follows the Kole around like a little brother.

I also know that I'll either have to get rid of the yellow, or upgrade (first choice) when the yellow gets a bit bigger.

Thanks for the comments guys. I think I will go with the yellow tang, a real small one and then when I get the 125 I will reconsider another tang thats compatible.

Back
Top Bottom