atlantic blue tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StixS

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have a 100 gal aquarium with about 70-80lbs of live rock 3 anthias, red coris wrasse, skunk clown, a small- medium size coral beauty, and a medium sized yellow tang. do you think that if i got a juvenile atlantic blue tang that the tang or the angel would start nipping at him?

You could try, but the Tangs may fight and believe it or not a 100 gallon IMO is a bit small for that tang as an adult. I have seen them in the wild in excess of 9". They can get huge. May be Ok as juvies, but trouble may start as the fish mature.
JMO.

I have one and he is a cool fish. The book says 75 and bigger, so IMO it should be fine. Being they are similar shape as the yellow it may be a problem at first. Can you rearrange some LR to make the yellow feel out of place when you add the AB Tang. This will give him a better chance.
Mine was bright yellow with the blue rim, he is now about 4" and is a dull blue/gray color. Can't wait till he turns the nice blue.... There are not many of these guys around. I have only seen 1 other in my area.

will the coral beauty pick at him since they do mimic a lemon peel tang right?

Its possible like any other new fish that he may get picked on a bit, but I'll bet the tang can hold his ground. I wouldn't be too concerned about that.

He will definitely outgrow your tank, and quick too! The Atlantic Blue is part of the largest surgeon group, and according to Fenner, they can get up to 2 feet long. If you haven't purchased him yet, I would reconsider.

Mike

Here is a couple I caught a pic of in Cozumel. These guys were about 8" long according to my notes.

The Atlantic Blue tang only gets to around 9" according to the books I have read. Cool pic, I can't wait for mine to get that nice blue color.
I got mine when it was around 2" and it is now 3.5-4" and is a dull gray/blue. I have had him over a year.

I like this specimen as well. After looking at Fenner's book he mentioned they could get up to 2 feet. It's not to say they would get that big in captivity though. I wish I had a bigger tank for the Atlantic Blue, or the Orange Shoulder Tang. :cry:

Mike

Back
Top Bottom