Atlantic Blue Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

macman7010

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was wondering what people's experience with these tangs have been? Are they ich magnets in line with Hippo Tangs and Powder Blue's or are they hardy in line with a Yellow. Being a Carribean species do they tolerate the cooler water of a tropical south pacific style reef aquarium?

I wouldn't call them ich magnets, not to say they aren't succeptible. They are prone to facial erosion. I would not house one in under 125g, better yet a 180g due to their eventual size and swimming patterns nor do they tolerate conspecifics, moreso than other tang sp. 75F+ is probably best.

Very cool fish. They are not ich magnets. But saying that, they are hard to keep alive long term. My 1st one lasted around 1.5 years, I got him when he was very small in the yellow fase. I had a tank crash which he made it through fine and lasted another 8 months and then one day just died?? I have tried them 2 more times and they both did not last long. The LFS asked the dealer about them and they said there hard to keep long term.

I`ve never had one but know others that have and they had the same problem Seaham had with them. They would never make it much past a yr. Maybe because of the tank size that James was talking about.

In general I would say they are a reasonably hardy fish. Even at smaller sizes they need alot of room mainly due to their open-water swimming patterns over reefs. For comparisons, we had 5-10 in a 1,400g display and they always fought. They will be going into a 4,200g? display soon so that should suit them much better. They also seem to have a nervous behavior about them, well that and the constant urge to eat :p

Back
Top Bottom