Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-30-2004, 10:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Attaching Ricordea Polyps - how?

[edit] They'll be arriving Tuesday...I'm not sitting here with coral begging to be attached. After I wrote the post, I realized that wasn't clear. [/edit]

Ok, so I just realized these are individual polyps, and not on a rock. So, my question is:

How do you attach coral?
And specifically Ricordea?

I'm afraid I'm going to tear them. I don't even want to handle them I'm afraid I'll do something to them. What's the best way to handle any coral when placing it in the tank? Rubber gloves? Should they ever leave contact with water?

I just don't want to kill them. thanks!

125 gallon saltwater: 55gal sump, 4 Blue-Green Chromis, Purple Tang, True Perc, Firefish, Royal Gramma, 5 Ricordea, Bubble Coral, 15 Pulsing Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Deresa clam, Green-Tip Torch Coral (about 11 "heads"!), Orange Montipora Cap, Purple M. Digitata, Green Slimer Acro. Yongei, 3 Orange M. Digitata, Pink&Green Acro. Millepora
dansemacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 11:48 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
The way I did it was to place the Ricordia on a rock in an area of low flow to allow it to attach. It shouldn't take more than a week. These are hardy shrooms that like light. After it attaches it will "walk around" till it finds a good spot, leaving babies all over the place. They reproduce by pedal laceration (like aiptasia).

Old 05-31-2004, 12:18 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well that'll be cool for growth...but how do I get rid of them if they start to spread like crazy?

I'll just minimize the flow 'til they attach. There's a spot with low flow in the bottom left-hand corner of the tank, that I made just for them. They'll be right under a 250w MH. But if they will migrate to a spot they like, I suppose it'll go where it's happy. That's kinda cool. Thanks!
125 gallon saltwater: 55gal sump, 4 Blue-Green Chromis, Purple Tang, True Perc, Firefish, Royal Gramma, 5 Ricordea, Bubble Coral, 15 Pulsing Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Deresa clam, Green-Tip Torch Coral (about 11 "heads"!), Orange Montipora Cap, Purple M. Digitata, Green Slimer Acro. Yongei, 3 Orange M. Digitata, Pink&Green Acro. Millepora
Old 05-31-2004, 02:21 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

loosely secure it to the rock with some mesh netting (bridal veil for example) for about a week, take it off, and it will be attatched
Old 05-31-2004, 09:58 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to brndfrb
why would you want to get rid of ricordia? The are the greatest. I love them. Ok if they start spreading like crazy you can send them to me.
Old 05-31-2004, 03:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

lol, I just don't want them to crowd other coral or become so prolific that they are a nuisance. That's all. Thanks for the tips everyone!
Old 05-31-2004, 11:15 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
Quote:
don't want them to crowd other coral or become so prolific that they are a nuisance
Start them in a place that has lots of room. A large carpet of Ricordia is a beautiful thing.
Old 06-01-2004, 04:48 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Too many Ricordia, is there such a thing? Good Luck
Are these orange-green-or better yet Red!

Tags
chi, polyp, polyps, ricordea

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com