attaching zenia to LR?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PiscesLou

Aquarium Advice Freak
has anyone ever use toothpicks and rubberbands to attach xenias to a piece of LR? I know it works on a toadstool.TIA

thanks RR, Do I have to make sure that the all of the "bottom" of the base is touch the LR or does it attach itself like a feather duster would?

With one of mine the Xenia ended up 1/4" high off of the rock and it wandered down to the rock and walked away. These are some crazy animals. Anywhere close is just fine, lol.

:D Xenias are hard to come by in my area for whatever reason I had to drive to sacramento, which is about 45 min away from where im at. Since were on the topic of xenias, the guy at the lfs says the the grow pretty fast compared to most corals. is that true?

They either grow like weeds or you can't keep them alive. All depends on your tank. In my tank they were growing like weeds. It looked like somebody was nipping at them but then I noticed that the stalks seemed to be turning brown from the inside out. I had to clip 3 or 4 stalks of Xenia out of the tank but the rest of them are doing fine, even the ones that I fragged out of the mother colony before the die-off began.

xenia attachment

If conditions are right, they grow like weeds I used to use the toothpick and string thing to attach them, but now I only use super glue gel. Just cut the polyp, add a dab of glue to the base, press on to a small rock, and presto!!!! Works like a charm. Usually, the xenia end up moving to another rock, but at least they're attached. Careful on your fingers! You may want to use rubber gloves. Good luck

Careful on your fingers! You may want to use rubber gloves. Good luck
:lol: too late did that with my toadstool. Elk Grove..alright! I made a trip to capital city aquarium today only to find out that they closed for easter but stumbled upon the O st. aquarium where I got the xenias. cool place! wish I had a big tank and some $$$ to buy that white tip reef shark 8O they have in there!

o street is a good store....capital is WAY too pricey on fish.....their coral prices are ok. Next time, try Exotic aquarium on florin road. Where are you coming from?

oops.....stockton....just read it. Went to a decent store in stockton...Twins aquarium. No xenia, but great prices on mushrooms. Been there?

twins! yup not the cleanest of stores but great on prices, I know the owner, john.
go there enough and hell sell you frags. have you seen his toadstools? freakin huge! 8O he refuses to sell them though.
BTW how is the one on florin? good selection and prices?

Just got through rubberbanding about 20 stalks of the stuff to rocks. It was given to me for FREE!! :p These stalks were a good 5 to 6 inches tall. The guy that gave them too me said he usually scrapes it off and throws it away.........

These stalks were a good 5 to 6 inches tall. The guy that gave them too me said he usually scrapes it off and throws it away.........
:D Can we get this guys phone number? J/K...great find!

The guy at twins has lots of nice stuff he won't sell......the place at florin is overall my favorite place in sac....great selection, better prices than O street. Sells out quickly though. If I were coming from stockton though, I'd call to see what kind of stuff was coming in and when. Lot's of enthusiasts up here and the stuff goes quickly.

If you're looking for great prices, try 6th avenue aquarium in china town (sf) Have you heard about their bag sales? Also, ten corals for 150 bucks (baseball size)....No sps though

Also, there is a beautiful store in Freemont....great stuff and a 2000 gallon show tank, along with a giant tank surrounding the door. Great reef selection. Check it out.

Anything else good in stockton?

beautiful store in Freemont
whats it called?
Anything else good in stockton?
theres Carter's pet mart...its off of west lane down the street from twins...some corals, ok selection on fish( bought a sohal tang last week) prices are ok. great price on very nice LR(tongan, indo, fiji) 4.39 per lbs.
And down the street on hammer lane, discount pets, again a "pet store" some corals, as for fish selection, sometimes will have stuff like octopus, filefish or jelly fish, great place for beginners...wont sell you stuff you dont need.

basically in stockton its those 3 stores, they all get new stuff every wednesday.
Twins : :band:
carters (y) for LR
discount: (y) for beginners

Back
Top Bottom