Attacking Serpent star.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brenden

Aquarium Advice Addict
I had a weird experience today feeding my tank. I feed the main and then was going to target feed a few things with a baster/feeder. I put a little food down were my yellow watchman was waiting patiently and a serpent star came "running" ( never seen one move that fast) out of the rocks and started reaching up with it legs to the baster so I lowered it down so it could reach it and it grabbed a piece of food out of it and let go. I tried it again with a mysis shrimp this time it grabbed the baster and wrapped it legs around it and ate it will holding on to the baster. After the shrimp was gone it let go and went back into the rocks. I noticed a peppermint shrimp watching this from a crack in the rocks, so I put the baster about 6" from it and pushed a little food out. Suddenly another peppermint shrimp came out of the rocks and the two of them are eating out of the baster. The star got a wiff of the food and came back for more. I had a serpent star and 2 peppermint shrimp feeding from my baster at the same time. I was very interesting. I normally only see these guys come out at night. I am done rambling now. I just thought I would share it. I will try for a pic next time.

try giving your serpent stars cocktail shrimp that has been cut in half. They really like big meaty pieces.

The cocktail shrimp I have are 3-4 inches long. Half of it would be the size of his body. How big of a piece can they consume? How would the 1" krill work.

You'd be amazed at what they can consume and their discs will become round til they digest everything. I'd cut it in thirds myself.

I feed my 3 blood shrimp and serpent star shrimp chunks. The shrimp get 1 piece each and the star gets 2-3 1/4 size chunks. I have to feed the shrimp before I can feed the corals and BTA otherwise they will take the shrimp right out of the BTA and corals. The star keeps poking out an empty arm looking for more shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom