Attention Bak-Pak 2 users - Help with adjusting it please...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mardeebo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Thanks in advance for the help!

I have two CPR Bak-Pak 2 on my 72 gallon. It's a used tank and I set it up Tuesday evening...using about 80% of prior owner's water and remaining RO saltwater.

I don't know what to look for to know I've set the air-flow correctly on the bak-pak. I tried opening the muffler full blast but it sends a HUGE amount of bubbles back into the tank. Also, there is a lot of white foam under teh collection cup. After a short time, the whole collection cup is full of water and there is even some foam seeping up out the sides on top of the cup.

I've tried closing the air flow off completely - no foam, still some bubbles but then the skimmer doesn't seem to collect anything at all.

What should I see? Shouldn't the collection cup be full of thicker, darker stuff? I'm guessing I should adjust it somewhere in the middle, but the amount of bubbles going back in the tank is overwhelming. Is that how it's supposed to work?

I can try to post some pictures tonight.

Thanks!

Re: Attention Bak-Pak 2 users - Help with adjusting it pleas

mardeebo said:
I don't know what to look for to know I've set the air-flow correctly on the bak-pak. I tried opening the muffler full blast but it sends a HUGE amount of bubbles back into the tank. Also, there is a lot of white foam under teh collection cup. After a short time, the whole collection cup is full of water and there is even some foam seeping up out the sides on top of the cup.
The collection cup should have an O-ring to adjust the height. Set the bottom of the cup where the bubbles flow in to about ¼" below the water line. The foam is what you want to create. The finer the bubbles, the thicker the skimmate removed which is what you want. The larger the bubbles the more water you remove which is what you don't want. Adjust the airflow until you get fine bubbles. Usually opening the muffler about ½ or a tad more should do. If you extend the air intake tube by double, it will also quite it down some. The "gurgling" noise from the larger bubbles is cause by the biobale. Usually from the bale being packed down too much which also causes the larger bubbles leaving the skimmer.

Be sure you don't use any water conditioners that contain aloe. It will make the skimmer pull out alot of clear water instead of thick skimmate. Also keep in mind the lower the salinity of the tank water, the larger the bubbles will be and less performance you'll get.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?p=220956#220956

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom