Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-18-2005, 10:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Auto top off suggestions I'm open!!

What's good and dependable and not to hideous to look at??

Don't take life too seriously, No one gets out alive.
Scatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 12:22 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I went down a number of roads with auto-topoff.

At first, I thought I could control it with a pump that activated for precise amounts of time per day. While I was able to accurately control how much water was added per day, it turns out that evaporation is highly variable. No matter how much I tried to get it right, I was always wrong.

So I installed a float switch in the sump. When the float goes down, the pump goes on. I pump the water through a couple of irrigation drippers so that it takes a long time to pump very little water. That way, nothing happens very quickly. (in case the float ever gets stuck)

It is just a regular PH sitting in a tank of FW, connected to a pipe that drips into the sump. Get some electrical assistance wiring it because you want a small relay (like 12v) to switch the 110v pump circuit on and off. Don't run the 110v through the float switch.

40 Gal Hex, 10 Gal Sump, CPR overflow with Mag 7 return, Maxxima 35 RO/DI, 10K MH pendant, 2 x 15W actinic, 1 yellow tail damsel, 1 high fin goby, 40lbs LR.com rock, 1 red head goby, 1 algae blenny, Leather, blastomussa, sun, and hammer corals, green polyps, carpet anemone, 2 sexy shrimp...and more LR critters than you could imagine in your worst nightmares.... Mantis in 5 gal
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 12:48 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I do the same but I also have a second float that will kill the top off pump if the water gets too high in the sump.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:54 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to gooyferret Send a message via Yahoo to gooyferret
Do you have a sump or no sump? If you have a sump or even if you dont i have the perfect cheap way to make the autotop off. I actually could make one for you all you would have to have is the pump to fill the topoff with. I have all the stuff already only charge you what it would cost me.
Give me a PM if your interested.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:54 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooyferret
Do you have a sump or no sump? If you have a sump or even if you dont i have the perfect cheap way to make the autotop off. I actually could make one for you all you would have to have is the pump to fill the topoff with. I have all the stuff already only charge you what it would cost me.
Give me a PM if your interested.
How do you do it?

Would like to know so I could possibly do a kalk top off...
32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 09:01 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Like Brad, I use a float switch to activate a PH in an 18-gal rubbermaid container with FW. The float switch did stick one time and I came home to find the FW container dry and the PH in it was running dry. Fortunately, it was nearly empty when this occurred so my sump didn't overflow onto my carpet. After that happened I bought a timer. Now the float switch/PH system is only "active" for 15 minutes each night. This just reduces the time during which something could go wrong. My salinity hardly changes at all (90 gal tank) so adding the FW all at once each night has worked just fine.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:51 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to gooyferret Send a message via Yahoo to gooyferret
Mine is the same way gator said float switch that is spliced into a power cord to power a PH. I have never had mine stick and fills evaporations 24/7 and never have to worry about SG. Very easy to make i made a few of them a few years ago but i have noticed now that the price for the float switches went way up.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:58 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok I like the timer idea! I'm filling it once a day right now anyway. Great advise guys.

Don't take life too seriously, No one gets out alive.
Scatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 09:48 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Gooy...The way you describe it, it sounds like the float switch itself is making/breaking the PH current (110v). I DON'T think that is the generally recommended way to do it. Float switches were not designed to make/break that kind of current. I think it might be unsafe.

Gator...the timer is a good idea. While automated, you are still creating a relatively sudden addition of FW. I use irrigation drippers on the end of the PH. That way, if the PH sticks on, it takes hours to pump any significant amount of water and the water goes in really slowly.

40 Gal Hex, 10 Gal Sump, CPR overflow with Mag 7 return, Maxxima 35 RO/DI, 10K MH pendant, 2 x 15W actinic, 1 yellow tail damsel, 1 high fin goby, 40lbs LR.com rock, 1 red head goby, 1 algae blenny, Leather, blastomussa, sun, and hammer corals, green polyps, carpet anemone, 2 sexy shrimp...and more LR critters than you could imagine in your worst nightmares.... Mantis in 5 gal
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
auto, auto top off, suggestions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com