auto top off switches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Check out the ultralife float witch they work very nice. Just make sure any switch you use has a relay built into it so the full voltage is not near the tank water. I have had very positive results and feedback regarding these float switchs.

I got my float switches from a guy on ebay. Very inexpensive but don't know how they compare to the ones at autotopoff.

I use a hang on bracket from a maxijet to hold it up on my sump.

I also recommed ultralife, been in operation almost 6 months and no problems. Plug two in together for a high and low shutoff to further ease your mind about it sticking on.

I know the one's that you purchased cheap on EBay. There's nothing wrong with them per se...but you shouldn't wire them directly into the 110v. That is a bit dangerous.

As mentioned earlier in this stream...you should wire the float to a relay, and let the relay break the high voltage.

So the problem with the cheap floats is that you have to build the rest of the plan and you'll probably spend as much. Also, you have to have a little electrical knowledge to put it all together.

How would you wire in a relay? I just copied what someone else on the board did and wired it into an extension cord. There is a bit of distance between water and the solder joints. I used shrink tubing on the solder joints.

Thanks for the heads up.

You need more stuff to wire in the relay, but that is why the commercial float switches cost so much compared to the float switch-only.

Basically, you use a low voltage power supply connected to the relay. The float and 110 are also connected to the relay. Only the low voltage flows through the float, which triggers the relay to connect/disconnect the high voltage.

That's basically the definition of a relay...using low voltage to control high voltage.

Wiring the float directly into the 110V isn't very safe.

You could also use a resistive relay where as no voltage flows through the switch. It works on resistance to a ground point. Use them all the time at work to monitor water levels. I use them on my sump pump in the house.

There are two ways to accomplish this:

1. Stainless probes.
2. The above mentioned probes inside a bladder with clean water.

I will be attemping this probably in the next month or so. They have various ways to do this, although none are in the price range as ones listed above. The Dual Function controller will allow you to top off AND shut off the pump if the water is too low. There are endless possibilities with this controller for use with an aquarium.

http://www.warrick.com/SpecTemplatePNB.asp?nProductGroupID=55

Something to look at anyway.

Mike

I have worked with relays before but it has been awhile. What could you use a the low voltage source? I looked at the thread in the DIY area where I saw the float hooked up the way I did it. Someone had suggested the relay but the posted thought the float would be fine.

The relay suggestion mentioned using a battery as the low voltage source. Is this possible and what size battery would be required to trigger the relay?

Back
Top Bottom