Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-20-2011, 03:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Automatic Fish Feeder

I am going on vacation in a few months for 7-10 days. I am looking for a good automatic fish feeder that someone may recommend. I mostly feed mysis and rods reef food. Is there a way feeder that feeds fish on a timer once a day? Thanks in advance.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Most people just feed the fish plenty of food the week before and then don't feed them during the vacation

Old 09-20-2011, 06:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

A healthy fish can live for a surprising amount of time without food if you feed them a bunch during the day before you leave.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:24 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hmm interesting...cause certain fish that need to eat twice a day or else they will starve.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

which fish is that? you didn't say what fish you have.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think it is *preferred* that they eat a bunch of small servings a day. Technically most people eat about 3 times a day, but could live for a while before starving to death.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:55 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Here's a thought I've been pondering. Maybe a separate debate, but it's started here...

Would you leave your cat or dog without feeding it for a week?

Most references say most fish should be fed 1-3 times daily, yet many people suggest feeding once a day or every two days even to keep water quality higher. I find this very contradictory that fish are being fed less than their natural schedule by people who are so passionate about their care and well being. Maybe we should start feeding our cats/dogs every other day so they don't poop as much either.

Yes a fish can survive and grow by eating every two days, and probably can survive a week without eating; but would you do that to yourself or any other pet? The obvious discomfort we would experience by eating at a reduced schedule is likely similar to most fish.

Spend a few $ and get a feeder. I have the Eheim double barreled feeder and it's great.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:32 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

ehiem do a good one,I have used a few times.
David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:05 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

To add to the debate: fish do not only eat from what they chimp in by the mouth but also filter small food and nutrients in their gills. To add to that fish in the natural are not fed by anyone but hunt food, that means burning far more calories than picking it up as it sinks. And of course they can always use alternative food sources: algea, pods etc.
IMO I would still stick with a feeder but reduce the feeding schedule to find a good balance between keeping the water pristine and the fish healthy.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:31 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxlbreed
To add to the debate: fish do not only eat from what they chimp in by the mouth but also filter small food and nutrients in their gills. To add to that fish in the natural are not fed by anyone but hunt food, that means burning far more calories than picking it up as it sinks. And of course they can always use alternative food sources: algea, pods etc.
IMO I would still stick with a feeder but reduce the feeding schedule to find a good balance between keeping the water pristine and the fish healthy.
+1. I dont think it would be very much fun to not eat for a week

Tags
feeder

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com