Automatic water change kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveM

Aquarium Advice Activist
As anybody looked at these or have one yet? Been looking at them online but not sure it is worth the price. I believe it's made by a company called genesis.

DaveM said:
As anybody looked at these or have one yet? Been looking at them online but not sure it is worth the price. I believe it's made by a company called genesis.

Genesis reef system works great, I've set a couple of them up in some clients aquariums. If you can afford it, & don't enjoy water changes it is worth the money. I personally love to do my water changes myself.

Its pretty easily to set up a similar system for way less money. Depending on your tank size, location, setup etc i dont think its worth it. A water change take about a half hour max. I do a 10g change on my tank is about 10mins. Its really not bad. Also siphoning out junk, debris, detritus etc is a very important part of a water change to minimize nutrients. A water change system wont do this.

My biggest tip for fast water changes involves 2 containers, size will depend on water change volume. 1 for the water coming out and 1 for the fresh saltwater going in.

Have flexible hosing connected to a utility pump like a simple maxijet and drop it in the saltwater container. Take the other end of the hose and put it in your sump etc. do not plug it in yet.

Get a large diameter hose and begin siphing out your water also sucking up any orgainc matter you see. As soon as you siphon out the proper amount plug in the maxijet and the tank will fill up hands free. When the tank is at the right level unplug the maxijet and pull out the hose to stop the back siphon.

Really easy. If you have a controller such as an apex or reefkeeper you can automate the process even further with float valves etc. nothing wrong with automating the import of fresh saltwater however i thing your gonna be better off doing the export part manually which is still pretty **** easy.

I use my Profilux to change 1% per day automatically. While a single 30% per month water change will remove about 30% of organics/waste, using the continuos method, I end up removing about 26.5%. BUT I get the added benefit of heightened stability.

I say automate & increase frequency. Increased stability, decreased workload, less mess etc. The only downside is added cost.

Back
Top Bottom