Average temp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kio707

Aquarium Advice Addict
What temp do you keep ur reef tanks with coral? Was told by lfs that 78 was to high and th bring it down to 73. Any advice?

I've always run my reefs between 78 and 80. What were there reasons for such a low temp?

"Because the ocean doesn't get that warm...." He's from Colorado, I'm from Florida... I told him I've swam in a warm ocean! It has warm and cool currents. But giving him the benefit of the doubt and him having a 180 gal personal tank for 8 yrs, I took his advice.

I'm at 80-81 - mainly because I don't want a chiller, and my tank seems to stay at that temp with the windows open and 65F outside or 85 degree day with the windows open. I keep my A/C at 74. I live in Michigan.

Wow.. Mine is at 75 right now... Think I'll slowly bring it up.

The advice I'd been given was a range from 78-83, but a constant temperature in that range was the most important. Reduce temp swings if at all possible.

I was also told that if you do experience a swing, you should try to avoid keeping the temp at 78 or 83 because you may dip too low, or climb too high.

I think a good temperature for a reef tank is anywhere from 75 to 81, but not too much higher.

73 is too low. 78-81 is desirable as that is an average temperature these corals evolved in. They start to suffer at 86 and above.

Back
Top Bottom