Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-09-2014, 10:13 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist
Originally Posted by dylan p View Post
I actually found that to be pretty rude.. This was my old bosses decision not mine... That being said we also had a koi pond made of the same material that also had similar problems.. It was a rubber liner not a liquid liner and I'm not sure what difference it makes but I'm just telling my experience

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Sorry you found my comment "rude". It is inconsequential. The OP is not thinking of using sheet pond liner. And I do agree that fiberglass and epoxy resin would be best. Liquid pond liner as far as I have researched is similar. All I was stating is that IMHO rubber pond liners and clawed aquatic reptiles spells DISASTER(no matter who's idea it is/was). Although it WOULD be quite possible to use this material under a stand as a sump.

Bktgifridays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:32 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
Thank you for the apology. I've never heard of liquid pond liner so I guess I'm not of much assistance. I can say that if this is going to be under a large aquarium your going to want to reinforce it with more then just plywood. If it were me I wouldn't want to risk the whole thing coming down

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

dylan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:53 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Cool concept, but I'd be worried about not being able to access what was under the tank. Now, if one made a stand double the width of your tank for example...with what was under the tank empty for storing food, equipment, whatever and have a dividing wall between the two halves. You could then have the 'back half' set up as a plywood style sump setup if you wanted.
Personally, that is a ton more work that putting a plastic horse trough behind your tank.
I completely agree that it would be easier to just have a stock tank in another location. However, some of us don't have rooms nearby we can put one in.

I currently already have a sump on my saltwater, and I have another sump for my frag tank ill be setting up. I'm not planning on using it, but I thought it was a good idea and worth sharing.
90g Reef
30g Long Frag Tank
10g Planted
3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:15 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
On paper it sounds good, but I fear in practice it wouldn't be as convenient.

What if you need to clean the sump? could be a hassle over just taking it outside to clean.
Then what if it does leak? Major hassle to fix and may be cause to take the tank down while repairs are made.

Then how many folks actually are 100% happy with their initial set-up?
We all end up tweaking this, moving that, etc. with the sump integrated into the stand, it will greatly limit future "tweaking".

In my years of experience keeping fish, I think the "all-in-one" solutions are usually not a good way to go.
Individual components that can easily be swapped out/cleaned/repaired are always better and more reliable than all-in-one setups.
PB_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:21 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I do like my sumps off of the ground a bit so you can create a siphon to vacuum it out if need be. Hard to do when it's on the floor. This is why I always tried to get around a sump in the stand. I prefer a "display" sump beside the main display. The amazing amount of life in a refugium can be quite entertaining.

mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote

stand, sump, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com