Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-09-2014, 01:25 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Awesome idea -> Stand sump

So today I was thinking about plywood aquariums, when something hit me... what if you lined the inside of your stand with plywood, and make it about half the height of the stand. You seal it with the pond liner stuff, and you have your self a sump. You could have doors above the sump so you can still get to everything.

3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 02:07 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Not too shabby of an idea.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:52 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

It would get you maximum use of space, also. Which would be nice with cube tanks and the like
3g Pico Reef
Old 12-09-2014, 09:44 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Pond liner doesn't work to good we had a pond liner in a plywood alligator pond at a pet store I used to work at and within a month it would leak. I had to re build It 4 times b4 we finally gave up on it I used a couple different pond liners and the outcome was always the same. If I were you I would fiber glass the hole inside and epoxy with the stuff they use for boats. You will also want to reinforce the stand because now you won't only have weight pushing down but on the sides also

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 12-09-2014, 10:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan p View Post
Pond liner doesn't work to good we had a pond liner in a plywood alligator pond at a pet store I used to work at and within a month it would leak. I had to re build It 4 times b4 we finally gave up on it I used a couple different pond liners and the outcome was always the same. If I were you I would fiber glass the hole inside and epoxy with the stuff they use for boats. You will also want to reinforce the stand because now you won't only have weight pushing down but on the sides also

I was talking about the liquid pond liner that is commonly used in plywood aquariums
3g Pico Reef
Old 12-09-2014, 10:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyfishies View Post
I was talking about the liquid pond liner that is commonly used in plywood aquariums
I don't want to sound like a ....jerk, but even if the OP was referring to rubber sheet pond liner, the wear and tear from an "alligator pond" vs a sump would be drastically different! Can't imagine any knowledgeable fish/and/or/reptile ceeper thinking that using a sheet of pond liner would suffice to house alligators!! ....claws/daggers!
Old 12-09-2014, 10:30 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

By the way....I think your idea is awesome! Make it happen and post pics!!
Old 12-09-2014, 10:31 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds good on paper! I'm listening. .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 12-09-2014, 10:51 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I actually found that to be pretty rude.. This was my old bosses decision not mine... That being said we also had a koi pond made of the same material that also had similar problems.. It was a rubber liner not a liquid liner and I'm not sure what difference it makes but I'm just telling my experience

Old 12-09-2014, 11:03 PM   #10
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Cool concept, but I'd be worried about not being able to access what was under the tank. Now, if one made a stand double the width of your tank for example...with what was under the tank empty for storing food, equipment, whatever and have a dividing wall between the two halves. You could then have the 'back half' set up as a plywood style sump setup if you wanted.
Personally, that is a ton more work that putting a plastic horse trough behind your tank.

Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
stand, sump, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com