Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-20-2014, 01:40 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular
it happens, all i can do is learn from it and try to prevent it, make a trip to the store in the morning and get a what i need to set up a tank for awhile and ill just farrow the DT

Calqless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:10 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
there are only 3 known proven treatments of MI. And ALL must be done in a qt. 1.Copper, instructions must be followed to a T, MUST be done in QT, very hard on the fish, 2.Hypo, to be done correctly it needs to be done with a refractometer, swing arms are to inaccurate and inconsistent, must be down in a qt, may take 4-8 weeks, and a lesser use transfer method, uses a ton of salt rodi and labor. Also DT will need to be fallow (fish less) for 8-10 weeks for MI to die off without a host (fish) to keep it multiplying. There are NO reef safe meds, ick out, ick cure, ick rid or any of the other snake oils out there. Ick outbreaks are caused by stress and any Tang in a small tank will be stressed out, they swim 25 miles or more a day. Also do not do copper and hypo at the same time.
Fish get ich from stress, too small of a tank, too many fish, incompatable tank mates. Or bad unstable parameters. I personally don't qt or am sure I believe in it. I have 3 tangs all from different sources and have never had to deal with it, is it luck or a stress free tank, really hard to tell. Unless you are goingbto qt EVERYTHING, fish, corals, lr, or anything wet, then you are not going to keep it out of your tank. Just remember there are NO safe reef proven ich meds,:

Holygral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:49 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular
this Flame Angel was fine as far as i could tell monday when i did my weekly 1/3 WC, had i not gotten the toadstool, i probaly wouldnt have even noticed it, until he was laying at the bottom of tank, as i would of been out bar hopping and partaking in various task for entertainment(read acting like im 21 again). could using a different salt have stressed him enough to help with the infection? I used a 10g thing of instant ocean to supplement when my red sea ran out before my new one arrived. My water parameter are getting better, ammoni, and nitrite always at 0 phosphate finally down to 0 and nitrite in btween 20-30 but thats down from 40-60. I lost (cant find) another fish my purple firefish, i cant find him in my tank, i dont see any remains but idk he was small enough that he could have slipped into my vacuum WC tube. i figure ill do another WC today and sift thru sand with a pic to look for evidence of the crime....cue law and order theme song!!1

Calqless is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com