Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-19-2014, 02:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

b-day surprise...

So today is my birthday, i make a trip to my LFS yesterday as i decided to get myself a newbie coral, i got a toadstool leather. After I got it put in and situated I go eat. I come back look at my fishes who all kinda hide when when the giant blue and red plastic arms of the Maintainer start sloshing around the water. I get a glimpse of my flame angel,and i see what looks like a whitehead (HS wasnt that far away so i forgot that look) under one of his eye i watch it for a while and he looks a bit "salty" so i research and come to conclusion its ich. OH NOES!!! Im setting up a QT, so i can do hypo-salinity treatment for awhile. Is there anything else i should try and do, or things i should look out for other than watching my other fish (2 clowns, a bicolor dottyback, 3 peppermint shrimp, and a purple firefish) for signs (none yet)?? all in all still a better Bday than 2012......

Old 03-19-2014, 02:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You should catch all your fish and qt/treat them with what ever method you choose (copper meds have always worked best for me) and leave the dt fallow for 8-12 weeks. Do not transfer any of the inverts to the qt if you use a copper based med, and don't transfer any water back to the dt.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you do hypo, make sure you use a refractometer. You want the salinity precise. If it is too high, you are doing nothing to kill it.

If you do not plan to add more fish, you could also just see if the Flame can fight it off, especially if it is just one spot. Maintain pristine water, keep stress low and provide proper nutrition and some fish can overcome with nothing more than that.

My Picasso Trigger has a spot on its tail that is not Ich. Kinda looks like it, but it never spreads and did not disappear after 7 weeks in hypo.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:56 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

It might be a loose scale or a bit of sand stuck to him. Be sure it's a parasite before acting.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

how would i make sure?? Vets dont really look at fish...lol i dont know any fish whispers... i just got in a BRS a dual reactor... can you let them tough it out?? thats how i usually deal with cold/flu until it becomes too much (third week)? I have read about garlic oil supplements (i guess) that help the immune system with could help beat it off.. I usually keep the temp around 80 so cant really move it up much more. I dont really want to move all my fishes to a QT since all i have open are a 20L and a 7 column (with FW in it) the PWC dont matter cuz hopefully i got my RoDi workin right (lets pray)..
Old 03-19-2014, 07:00 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Just keep a close eye on them, that spot, if it's ICH will drop back off again, but if anymore appear I would get busy. I believe in low stress to be the best way to keep ICH off your fish, but you can get a chain reaction going with it that can effect all your fish. That's when steps need to be taken to prevent that. But to immediately QT all your fish just raises their stress levels, so the cure might be worse than one instance of ICH.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

so your saying it could be like methadone??? the cure can be as bad or worse than the disease
Old 03-19-2014, 07:18 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

b-day surprise...

Maybe. I have argued this for a long time. Fish and people live in environments where there are biological predators. If you have AIDs your immune system is open to attack by organisms that would never have a chance to infect you if your immune system was working. We swim in a ocean of these predators. Fish depend on their slime coats for this protection. Surgeonfish (tangs) have some of the thinnest slime coats out there, making them a target of parasites if that coating gets compromised. Some suggest the "boy in the bubble" approach to eliminating every possible parasite and pathogen is the way to proceed. But in my view, that's a loaded gun ready to go off if any parasite gets introduced inadvertently. My evidence is that healthy stress free fish can avoid ICH as long as conditions don't exist with sick fish as hosts to allow a bloom of the parasite, in the case of a bloom, even healthy fish could get overwhelmed. So careful livestock selection based on your current fish population and swimming/hiding room are huge factors in reducing the risks. A good diet seals the deal.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:10 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

think it was too late... he was swimmin around before i left for dinner with my Dad, i get home and he is upside down, just kinda waiting..moved to a QT sooner than i wanted, wasnt sure how the bio had developed, but now he wont die in DT...
Old 03-20-2014, 01:28 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I'm sure sorry.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com