baby cleaner shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fluff

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got to watch my cleaner shrimp throw her babies finally. She's been carrying them for about a week since they hatched and there are baby cleaners everywhere. I know they won't survive to adulthood, even though they are in a tank by themselves, with just the adults but, it was cool to watch non the less. Here are some pics of the new babes.

That is awesome! My cleaners just did the same thing last night! I got it on video and will post it later. All the other fish were eating away. I didnt have to feed the tank last night.... :roll:

That's cool Rev! My shrimp are in a tank to themselves. It used to be my seahorse tank and the horses passed on. I have been debating on what fish to add to the tank. The shrimp have been living it up for probably two months now. lol Oh well. Though they won't last long, it's fun to watch them for now. Looked like the male shrimp has been taking a snack here and there of the offspring. I have the filter intake covered by a sponge but I can see it pulling the babies in as well. It's neat while it lasts. :D

Not according to everything I've read and been told here on AA. They will do well for a while then just die. We'll see how it goes though. I'm in no hurry to add anything to the tank so they have time. :D

Well, this morning I only seen three babies. They could be hiding in the liverock/chaeto or they could be eaten by now. :?

Cheato would be the perfect place for them to hide I would inspect it and see if they are in there. Makes perfect sense to me.

Wow. My cleaner released her eggs in my main overnight one night a few weeks ago. She's preggo again though. She seems to carry them for quite a while (2w?) though. Last time it seemed like she was preggo forever. I haven't been watching as closely this time.

Wonder what would have happened if you'd taken the parents out... would the babies have stood a chance then? If there was any chance that my cleaner's offspring would survive they'd be in the 15 by now! Bummer, huh? Bet you could fetch a pretty penny from the LFS for those!

Enjoy them while they last!

Wow, I've saved that for later perusal. Thanks for posting that Phyl. :D
My other shrimp is now full of nice green eggs as well. I thought most of the babies were gone but I've been checking at different times of the day and see more and more babies mixed in the algae. I'll do what I can feed wise. The rest is up to them. :D

Back
Top Bottom