Baby Clowns!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harry Gross

Aquarium Advice Regular
My clowns have eggs attached to their little (dead) coral area !!!

What do I do now !!?? .... Leave 'e there and section off a part..."THEY RE " part of the tank...with screening or something simular...???

Or pull them...and their little brood out and set up another quarenteen (sp?) tank.(I have a spare 10 gallon which I could set up and start cycling or simply pull 10 gallon outta my 100 gallon...(do a PWC while at it )...and keep em there until the happy event....????

The 100 gallons 'other' inhabitants...1 yellow Tang...3 damsels...1chromis and a orangespotted goby...have been showing intrest in the clowns little secret...but all to no avail as of yet(the clowns are quite unsocial about visitors right now) and I'd like to help the expecting couple out here before SOMEBODY gets a little extra lunch....dig??
So I'm looking for any/all input....thankx folks !!

Have a read through this site. Raising Rotifers | Breeding Clownfish

I wouldn't be too quick to go in and disrupt the tank. It takes preparation to have a sliver of a prayer to raise out any clowns. But what you should know is that after they hatch and are eaten in the main tank they will lay again in 10-12 days. In that time you could prepare yourself for them and maybe even have a little success at raising a few. Read and educate yourself, it could be exciting. Bill

Clownfish spawnigs are more and more common these days but so few aquarists make an attempt at rearing. Kind of a drag. The set back of course is that it takes setting up rotifers, and hearing the number of complaints about hatching brine shrimp makes it apparent that raising rotifers would be just too much for alot of folks.

Interestingly in FAMA, there was an article a few years back where an aquarist was making claims of raising a decent percentage of baby clowns on brine shrimp alone. It would stand to reason that it could be done.

He was raising enough to sell off some and spread them around to his friends. Nice.

Bill

Check out MOFIB.org and pick up a copy of Clownfishes by Joyce Wilkerson. I have 2 pair of clowns that spawn every 12-14 days in my tanks. I would love to raise them but after doing a lot of reading and all the work it takes I decided that I don't have the time or the resources to do it.

Back
Top Bottom